Can I use a single wing for doubles?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

If he has a wing that works for him why is it a mistake or inappropriate? Because it's not what you are trying to sell?

That's really not the case. I sell nothing, and I'm equally disinclined to answer such a question for the same reasons Tobin stated. The hypothetical is just not the way I would like to dive, so I would choose not to do the dive. If you feel differently, certainly let us know what you would pick and why.

If he has a wing that works for him why is it a mistake or inappropriate? Because it's not what you are trying to sell?

When someone chooses a path that is quite far away from the norm, they generally do so for some quite specific reasons. When someone chooses a solution that a lot of people consider unsafe, it gives pause. When someone offers advice to the unknowing that their solution is fine because it works for them even though other accomplished and experienced people consider it unsafe or sub-optimal, I think it deserves comment and apparently so do many others.

We are all free to choose our own path.

I suggest to Tobin we stop pushing rocks uphill...

The transition to doubles is expensive, typically involves a drysuit, a couple sets of doubles, deco bottles, 4-8 sets of regs, can light, training and a few $1000's worth of misc gear.

Not all divers that dive BP&W aspire to be tech divers!!!

Then they should buy a nice singles wing and go diving.

Why should a recreational diver, by that I mean a diver that dives for fun be limited to using only a single tank. Many divers are not into deco dives, wreck or cave diving and as such do not require that added training and gear those activities require but would benefit from the added bottom time doubles diving provides.

On the whole I do agree and support the notion that a diver should use the proper gear and compromising can lead to problems and safety concerns. However, just because some people boo hoo your setup does not automatically mean you are going to die if you use it. If that was true, every diver that uses a poodle jacket, split fins, air2 or spare air should be dead already.

If he has a wing that works for him why is it a mistake or inappropriate?

The anecdotal reports from a few divers that "their" choice "works" is not evidence of it's superiority.

The vast majority of divers have used only the one wing they own. Their "investment" in their decision, and their lack of comparative experience leaves them ill equipped to comment on the relative merits of other approaches.

Because it's not what you are trying to sell?

If you are trying to suggest that my posts are motivated by financial gain you are mistaken.

Apparently you have never tried to buy something from me that I thought was inappropriate for your needs. I routinely say "NO" when I get requests to purchase goods, or combinations of goods that are not in the best interest of the buyer.

I spend a good portion of my work day speaking with actual divers. It is not uncommon for me to speak with divers who bought into the "do it all" wing concept, and are now looking for a dedicated singles wing AND dedicated doubles wing. They made a mistake, eventually realized it, and now have purchased THREE wings, and have one to try and sell on Ebay.

I'd rather see divers spend their money on goods that improve the diving experience, not simply suffice.

Tobin

Then they should buy a nice singles wing and go diving.

Tobin

But with one tank or two, that's the question!

:D

My take on this question comes down to a truism about almost everything in life:

Any item designed to do two different things will ultimately do neither of them very well.

Why should a recreational diver, by that I mean a diver that dives for fun be limited to using only a single tank.

1) Large singles provide a lot of bottom time at recreational depths.

2) Doubles provide increased redundancy over a single, but with out training, and practice doubles can increase the risks to the diver. I'm sure you would not suggest that one just go buy some dubs and go diving.

3) Doubles provide enough gas to easily get the diver in to mandatory deco. That's not a good place to be without training. Again you would suggest the typical AOW diver strap on ~200 cuft of gas and go diving without training?

This training is most often found in a "intro to Tech" type course.

Tobin

Any item designed to do two different things will ultimately do neither of them very well.

Hammers do two things pretty well. :D

Sorry Gombessa...my question was actually directed to Tobin.

And to PeroneFord...Like I said in one of my last posts on this thread, I completely understand both sides of this debate. What may be the norm in some diving circles may not be the norm in other circles. I guess that is the point I have been trying unsuccessfully to make. I know several tech divers in the northeast that use the same bungeed 95# lift wing, whether it's with a single tank adapter and single steel 120 or a set of steel hp100s. No trapped air issues with any of them, very streamlined etc. These divers are highly trained, experienced and accomplished, like most of the divers in this thread. What is unsafe and sub-optimal to some here is perfectly safe and optimal to the divers I know. Who's right?? :)

I certainly agree that it merits discussion, but there is never ONLY ONE right way to do something. Therefore, I agree to disagree. :D

1) Large singles provide a lot of bottom time at recreational depths.

2) Doubles provide increased redundancy over a single, but with out training, and practice doubles can increase the risks to the diver. I'm sure you would not suggest that one just go buy some dubs and go diving.

3) Doubles provide enough gas to easily get the diver in to mandatory deco. That's not a good place to be without training. Again you would suggest the typical AOW diver strap on ~200 cuft of gas and go diving without training?

This training is most often found in a "intro to Tech" type course.

Tobin

For the most part, I agree with you. Training is required when you change gear configurations. Doubles diving does require very specific training and for the most part that training is only available from the tech diving community. However, a properly trained technical diver can dive a set of doubles, in a wetsuit in a exotic location just for fun can’t he?

Tobin...like I said, I don't mean any disrespect. Even though I have never had any dealings with you I have read nothing but praise for you, your equipment, and your customer service! It's very clear to me that you have only your customers best interests at heart.

Like I said earler...there is never only one right way to do something.

Back
Top Bottom