Mona Island - How's the diving?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The Juliet is leaving Miami after this summer ends and will be running from Mayaguez, PR for dive trips through the Mona Passage. Sail Juliet Home Page

They did their recon trips last year and said it's virtually "undove" as nobody has run the itinerary in years.

Thanks, Robin,

I'm a newer diver than Don, but I'm also thinking I'm gonna give this one a try. (See my post with a similar title a few lines down.)

I'll be drift diving for a week in Cozumel next month (including AOW certification, for whatever that's worth). Combined with my May week in Bonaire, I think I'll be feeling pretty comfortable/confident. (Again, not to the same level as Don with 200+ dives.)

Again, thanks for the links. (I've enjoyed your other posts and trip reports.)

Ron

Thanks, Robin,

I'm a newer diver than Don, but I'm also thinking I'm gonna give this one a try. (See my post with a similar title a few lines down.)

I'll be drift diving for a week in Cozumel next month (including AOW certification, for whatever that's worth). Combined with my May week in Bonaire, I think I'll be feeling pretty comfortable/confident. (Again, not to the same level as Don with 200+ dives.)

Again, thanks for the links. (I've enjoyed your other posts and trip reports.)

Ron

Hi Ron,

You'll enjoy Cozumel. It's one of our favorite places to dive. BTW: 200 dives isn't a lot. Especially around here. What op are you diving with?

Don,

I'm going with a group from my LDS and we're staying at the Cozumel Scuba Club. I'm really looking forward to it. My son and I had a great trip to Bonaire in May, but I think Cozumel, coupled with the guidance I get completing my AOW, will make a big difference in my diving.

Ron

You should be fine. Cozumel is completely different from Bonaire in many ways and with those two locations under your belt you should be fine. And, if for any reason, you don't feel comfortable on a dive, just call it and get back to the boat. It's no big deal.

We did drift dives off the Nekton Pilot at Cay Sal and Nekton Rorqual at Medio and they were fun. The group goes in together with the a DM with a marker bouy in front, and another DM following the group. Everyone stays together and then does safety stop together. Once everyone is up, they signal the boat and it backs up close to the group. In pairs of two, the divers swim to the dive platform and the crew helps them get back on. It is really easy and well organized. The Cay Sal drifts were true drifts where the current was strong like some dives in Cozumel. The Medio drifts had no current at all but we did them as drifts because there was no mooring pin there yet.

We are booked for Cocoview for Nov, otherwise we might consider this trip ourselves. We have been thinking about doing the St Croix trip, too. Both our Nekton trips were fantastic and we will do more trips with them in the future!

In fact, this past weekend my hubby was teaching OW class here and a student and a DM wanted to discuss the Nekton with us (they all read our website, trip reports, etc.) and think those are perfect trips for their families (both have Jr diver kids as buddies). I told them I think the Bahamas trips (NW and Medio) are perfect for them and their young diver buddies to get more experience as well as perfect for the Dad's as if the young buddy is too tired to dive, they will be able to buddy up with another diver on the boat and go! :D To me, the Nekton trips are incredible for new divers and experienced divers, especially in cases where they are traveling together. On our Medio trip in April, we took one of my hubby's DMs (who had been diving 20 yrs) and his new wife (who has less than 50 dives). Both had a fabulous time and both went on almost every dive. It was a great experience for both of them and they are both hooked on the Nekton! :D

I know there are other liveaboards out there that are prettier, or more fancy, but as far as I am concerned there is none better at what they do. The Nekton always delivers fun, great diving, lots of diving, lots of fun, roomy boat, crew that is second to none, and ...... :D

robin:D

Well, I did it. Booked the Mona Island trip for the week of Dec. 6. $1695 less the $600 promotion discount, plus $315 for the 3-hour land shuttle ($125), port fees and fuel surcharge.

Really looking forward to it.

Ron

My wife and I just booked the trip for the 6th of December. This will be our 3rd trip on the Pilot. Everyone keeps talking about lots of sharks. Any idea what kind? We saw alot of Car. Reef sharks on our trip to the Bahamas. Maybe something different on this trip. If anyone is interested the latest Sport Diver magazine has a good article on PR and diving around Mona Island.

Hey gang,

I just booked for the Dec 6th sailing too! This will be my 5th trip on the Pilot... At this point, I'm traveling alone, so I would love to make a few "connections" before hand to ensure ample buddy opportunities.

I also got a flight from SFO for $375 RT.

I'm also going off to Cozumel for a week next month...

Anyway, I'd love to hear from some other folks doing the trip!

Liz

Liz,

I'll be on the same Nekton trip, Dec. 6.

I'm also going to Cozumel, beginning Oct. 4 (Coz Scuba Club).

Looks like the Mona Island trip may fill up. When I booked it last week, they had about ten spots left. It is a good deal.

My airfare from Baltimore is about $350....which helps hold down the overall cost of the trip.

See you on Dec. 6th.

Ron

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom