Mona Island - How's the diving?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I hope everyone has a really great trip. We've decided against it for this year so hoping to see a bunch of trip reports and pictures to inspire us for next year.

OK...Quick count -- For the December 6th sailing -- I've got myself... and Ron G... and Mr & Mrs "Newfldiver" and Mr & Mrs "Kolast" -- Any other scubaboarders joining the Dec 6th sailing?

Do folks have flight plans yet?

Liz

Our names are Nick and Christy. We get in on Airtran around 3PM on Saturday and leave on the following Saturday around 3:30PM. We are taking the shared ride to the boat.

Liz - more than welcome to dive with us any time if you don't get a buddy.

Thanks for the suggestions on extra kit - time to go shopping.

Another question - do they have a pretty good nitrox tester on the Pilot or do we need to go buy our own?

Liz,

I'm flying on United out of Wash. DC. Arrive shortly after 1:00 pm on the 6th and depart around 6:00 pm on the 13th. Riding the shared shuttle to the west side of the island.

I'll also be traveling alone, but I'm expecting there to be at least a handful of us.

I'll be using nitrox 'cause I plan to do a lot of dives.

Ron

Our names are Nick and Christy. We get in on Airtran around 3PM on Saturday and leave on the following Saturday around 3:30PM. We are taking the shared ride to the boat.

Liz - more than welcome to dive with us any time if you don't get a buddy.

Thanks for the suggestions on extra kit - time to go shopping.

Another question - do they have a pretty good nitrox tester on the Pilot or do we need to go buy our own?

They have a pretty good Nitrox tester and they're pretty religious about your recording the reading after you've tested. They used an Amoxtec O2EII. All the Nitrox users will be on the port side of the dive platform and those diving air are on the starboard. The starboard side accomadates more divers. You can stride in right off the platform on either side or walk to the middle and down the steps. All your equip stays on the platform making it a pretty good set up. After surfacing the warm towles will be right there and so are the two shower heads. Conveniently, the towles and warm showers are on the port side.

I'm arriving late Friday night and plan to stay at the hotel on the airport and will also be taking the shared ride on Saturday. The following Saturday I have a 3:00 pm flight.

As for the Nitrox... I don't remember the brand of analyzer, though I know it was one I was familiar with and I was comfortable using it. And, yes, everyone tested and logged their own gas.

And, yes, I'll be doing Nitrox -- I expect to log 20+ dives.

Liz

The swell in the passage is always interesting. Kinda like bouncing., boing, boing. :)

Have fun. It is absolutely beautiful.

Thank you for the advice. Looks like I will be sticking with Nitrox. Couple of more basic questions that I might as well confine to this thread:

1) We have one dive computer for the two of us - we always dive together and I will do more dives than my wife (she doesn't want to do night dives at all but I hope that will change). Is this a potential issue?

2) Do we need to go out and buy and extra mask or extra anything or are there things on boat that can be lent out on an "emergency"? It sure would be a bummer if you mask (or fin strap) breaks at the beginning of the trip.

Cheers!

...1 computer for 2 divers is a MAJOR BAD IDEA !!!

1) no reputable dive op/boat will knowingly let you do that.

2) if you get separated...which, trust me, can, does, and will happen to you sooner or later...what will the computerless diver do ?

3) even if you're together, and the single computer goes down...what will you do ? (the boat will make both of you sit out 24 hrs, assuming you both make it to the surface without hurting yourselves, in which case sitting out 24 hours will be the least of your problems/concerns!)

...for what it's worth, I always dive with at least 2 computers, sometimes 3...and on a spendy trip, I'll bring 2 compete reg sets and 5 or 6 computers...no kidding !

....I always bring a significant amount of spare gear/parts...for all the other divers, who on one hand, boast to me how they're packed all their stuff in one 30# bag, while I'm bringing 100# of stuff...while on the other hand approach me for spare gear to save their expensive trips 'cause they travel 'lite'!

Glad to hear the Dec 6th trip is where it's at! Me and my dive buddy, Ashley, are looking forward to the Mona Island trip. It's been a long year -- with only one other diving trip so far this year. We DEF need this vacation.

We have been on one other Nekton cruise to the Caymans last year and had a great time on that 'ugly' boat.

I too have been looking for reviews of Mona island as well and was quite pleased to read the two glowing articles in Sport Diver Magazine and in next month's issue of Scuba Diving.

I'm hoping the trip will live up to the hype, and if not we can hang out on deck with all the other 'cool kids.'

See ya in two months!

Ben

Scubaben's photosets on Flickr

You can add me to the list for Mona Island on Dec. 6th trip. This is Steve from Albuquerque, and I look forward to meeting you all on the long and probably cramped shuttle ride from the airport. I'm coming solo, so I'm also looking for a buddy - preferably someone with a low air consumption rate. Still not sure whether I'll dive Nitrox... I've been on two Nekton trips and was still able to get in five dives a day on air.

See you on Dec. 6th!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom