New Gear for the BIG 50.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

FredGarvin

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
I just don't log dives
I have been diving a, what I would call, standard rig set-up for 20+ years. U.S. Divers Conshelf Reg. + Octopus, standard SPG/depth gauge and recently added wrist computer (Oceanic non-AI). The only addition to this "standard rig" is a 3 cu ft. Spare-Air. Now I do NOT want to belabor the pros and cons of a Spare-Air. I have read all the threads and I am asking for NO thoughts nor advice on that point. Finally, though I am an experienced diver, I am not a techi nor do I aspire to be one. I like good gear and adhere to the dictum that in life you generally get what you pay for.

I am about to embark on my first serious scuba gear buying spree in years and so I'm considering a more streamlined option. I am looking at the following: 1. Eliminating the Octo.. 2. Buying a new reg set, maybe a SP MK25/600 or Oceanic Eos or Atomic B1 3. Taking the Conshelf 1st Stage and Octo 2nd stage and placing it on a 6 or 13 cu ft tank to act as a pony/bail bottle. 4. Selling the Spare-Air 5. New B.C. with either Air 2 or Atomic SS1 6. Vytek Wrist computer w/transmitter for AI. Keep the Oceanic Computer as a backup.

That way I'd be down to 2 hoses, i.e.: 1. Regulator 2. B.C. Inflator

I'd still have an independent redundant air source. Yet I could provide air to a buddy by either the pony or Air 2/SS1. I would have significantly streamlined my hose situation too.

Thoughts? A final note: a dive buddy of mine expressed the thought that in a true out-of-air emergency, handing an AIR2 or Atomic SS1 to a terrified buddy may result in a disaster. He suggested the terrified victim may push the inflate button while struggling to get air from the integrated inflator/reg. and cause an out of control rapid accent as a result.

Thoughts???

Garvelous

How deep do you dive? If your buddy goes out of air at 100', you have to buddy breathe and surface. With your suggested rig, you have maybe half a tank of gas and he gets 6cu ft which at that depth might fill his lungs once or twice. Then you have to share one regulator and finish the ascent. Stick with the tried and true primary and secondary set-up. IA properly rigged stage/pony with not add to your hose clutter unless you use it and then, you dive should be in open water and almost over...

How deep do you dive? If your buddy goes out of air at 100', you have to buddy breathe and surface. With your suggested rig, you have maybe half a tank of gas and he gets 6cu ft which at that depth might fill his lungs once or twice. Then you have to share one regulator and finish the ascent. Stick with the tried and true primary and secondary set-up. IA properly rigged stage/pony with not add to your hose clutter unless you use it and then, you dive should be in open water and almost over...

I dive to 120 feet at times. Again, as I clearly mentioned, I am NOT looking for a discussion on the merits of a 3 cu ft versus 6 cu ft versus 13 cu ft pony bottle. For the record, I can ascend from 100 feet on 6 cu ft. A safety stop is not a relevant issue, only an embolis is relevant and a controlled direct ascent to surface using 6 cu ft would be possible. Anyhow, the idea is that I could hand the SS1 or Air2 to the vic. or hand off my primary to the victim and use the Air2/SS1 for myself while ascending to the surface. The pony would be for me as a primary independent air source to assist me with an emergency controlled ascent. Also, I am not clear on what you mean by a "properly rigged stage/pony...". That is exactly what I intend to use...a 6 cft pony.

Thanks and God Bless,
Garv

"handing an AIR2 or Atomic SS1 to a terrified buddy may result in a disaster"

Definitely, If I'm understanding your question. The regs-on-inflator setups are for *you* to use while donating the reg in your mouth to the other diver. The inflator regs are barely long enough to get in your own mouth (try one, turning your head with it in isn't easy), let alone a buddy.

I have an air2 and don't mind it, but they seem to need extra care or they will stick open on you a year or two down the road.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom