The Boynton Dive Chronicles (new and improved)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Okay... we did the Castor today, and the yellow section from the diagram I drew the other day is leaning out over the sand at about a 45º angle. In addition to that , the remaining section from the midships break aft is now cracked all the way back to the superstructure along the floor of the cargo hold, and also is cracked vertically up to the superstructure and is probably going to go soon, especially if we get another big swell. I'll post pics if any came out good enough. Viz was horrendous again today, but better than yesterday... about 35 feet on ther castor, and 20' on Delray ledge, and about 12 feet on Clubhouse.

Okay... we did the Castor today, and the yellow section from the diagram I drew the other day is leaning out over the sand at about a 45º angle. In addition to that , the remaining section from the midships break aft is now cracked all the way back to the superstructure along the floor of the cargo hold, and also is cracked vertically up to the superstructure and is probably going to go soon, especially if we get another big swell. I'll post pics if any came out good enough. Viz was horrendous again today, but better than yesterday... about 35 feet on ther castor, and 20' on Delray ledge, and about 12 feet on Clubhouse.

Viz may not have been very good but we had an awesome time, as always. Thanks Kev! :cheers:

Hey Boynton Dive Chronicles readers, we just had a spot open for a 2-tank drift dive next Saturday afternoon, October 4, with Kev...looking for lobsters! Spearos welcome as well. Want to join us?

Hey Boynton Dive Chronicles readers, we just had a spot open for a 2-tank drift dive next Saturday afternoon, October 4, with Kev...looking for lobsters! Spearos welcome as well. Want to join us?

*sigh* Clearly I need to start plans to invent a transporter like in Star Trek so that I can get down there anytime I want. It would make going diving so much easier for me.

Hey Kev!
I sure hope the viz improves for next weekend, I'm antsy to get back in now that the Dr has cleared me.
Keep up the posts.
Peace-
Kelly

Actually, the vis did end up improving quite a bit on the last dive of the Sunday afternoon trip. The current switched back to a north sometime before Sunday morning, and diluted the mud. By the end of the day, on Delray ledge vis was back up to between 45 and 50' and the sun was even low in the sky. We had no trip today, but we do have one tomorrow afternoon, so I'll update the viz situation again tomorrow evening.

For now, I can update the situation on the Castor with a couple of pics and a new map, as well as a couple of low vis pics from over the weekend.

Castorbreaks092808.jpg

The updated Castor diagram. The last section of the cargo hold hull is hanging by a thread at the superstructure.

Aftbreak.jpg

Here is the crack at the superstructure.

Castorcrack1.jpg

Here is the last standing section, looking aft from where the rest of the walkway used to be.

Midbreak.jpg

This is the midships break from the bottom of the cargo hold, looking out.

There have been tons of swimming crabs around near the surface, and the Castor was absolutely littered with crab parts that were raining down from above. I have a picture of one, but I forgot to put it in my photobucket, but I'll try to edit it in when I get home.

Vis was, with the exception of the last dive of the weekend always better out on the wrecks than it was on the reefs. I think the all time worst vis was on Clubhouse, probably something like 8'. I had alot of trouble all weekend with the camera, since I'm not so good at shooting in low light to begin with, and the auto focus kept focusing on the crap in the water instead of the subject.

Hbill.jpg

A hawks bill turtle from about 3' away. If you squint, you may be able to see a dark spot in the water just above his shoulder... that's a diver scootering about another 10' beyond the turtle.

Calypso6.jpg

Chip from about 4' away.

I gotta bolt... I'll come back later and finish up.

http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom