Comments on Mor-Fin Natural

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

CWSWine

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
My OW instructor has a pair of these and loves them - they are really short so they pack nicely in carry on bag and don't weight as much as a regular set of fins. Anyone else use these things? Thoughts or comments? They sure look weird!!

014837_big2.jpg

Scubalab tested them. My feeling is that with the right promotion perhaps, similar to ForceFin's mystical blather, they could make converts. "Shoe-in" for somebody's modern arts museum and some kind of design award. Internet posts like yours won't hurt either.
Scuba Diving Magazine - 18 New Fins

That is interesting review - looks like they are about middle of road and more thrust and better slalom times than Scubapro Twin Jet Max and only tenth of mile slower. Being only 18 inches long, light and easily pack in a carry on bag makes them attractive purchase. I do have the Apollo Bio that got rated really high but for traveling they are heavy and too long to fit in carry on bags. Now just if they didn't look so silly! I guess Force fins would be another option.

I tested these out in Grand Cayman last week and for traveling you can't beat these on weight. I was using SP Twin Jets which are a lot heavier and longer than these and the SP is now history.

As far as performance goes the Morfins only need a flutter kick to be effective - no over-exertion needed. I did however try to "muscle" it once in a while and I was surprised at how fast I was going. For its size it can't be beat.

There was a hiccup however with the fins that I had. I was using the Pro Delfins which the manufacturer claims to have a spring insert to make them more stiff than the regular Delfins. First of all the springs are no more than strands of wire that are about 5 inches long which are inserted towards the outside of the fins and one in the middle where the smaller hydrofoil meets the larger piece. The outside wires on mine are starting to come out and one did make it's way out when I was on the boat last week. I didn't notice it until it poked me in the finger when I was adjusting the strap. I just pulled it out and continued my dives without any significant change in performance. I already spoke to the manufacturer and he mentioned that I may have received some old stock that were manufactured incorrectly. I am shipping these back and getting replacements this week.

By the way, the company is moving its manufacturing back to the U.S. for tighter quality control. If you're buying one make sure that you don't get one of these "defective" units.

They're also a good conversation piece specially when you're diving with people that see these for the first time. :D

I definitely recommend them.

Why do the straps look inferior on these things? The fin design looks interesting, but I can't get a grasp on the straps. Can you give me your opinion? Cheers

The straps are simple rubber straps held in place by a stiff rubber grommet attached to the outside of the footwells. You basically adjust them by moving the straps into the holes desired and adjusting for comfort that way. Although they are simple they do work and are not flimsy and are very comfortable. The only change I would make (and I've already made this suggestion to the manuf.) is for the straps to have some kind of finger loop to make it easier to doff. Right now they have these 2 thin rubber "ears" that you can grab but is not too much help especially if you're floating in swells at the back of the boat trying to take these things off.

I sure wouldn't want to use those anywhere in the vicinity of ropes, lines, cables or fishing line! They look extremely vulnerable to snagging on things.

Never had a problem with snags or such and I've been in environments where there were ropes, lines, monofilament, hookahs, even a fishing net. They're small enough that you can keep them within your slipstream and not have anything stick out.
Oh, please! Wearing snaggable fins in an environment like that is an accident waiting to happen. Just because you've been lucky so far is no reason to imply that others should ignore the risk, which is very real.

Shaka Doug here on the board uses and promotes the Mor-Fin and from all the comments I've heard him make they have been serving him well - I'd contact him and get his opinion, not many dive as much as he does around here.

Aloha, Tim

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom