Stiff Bladed Fins

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I am trying to suss this out, but I cannot.

What fins are there that are rigid except Jet Fins and the many clones?

And would the USD Rocket II fins which are floppy-ish, but jet fin shaped count?

Yes.

I thought Rocket were more stiff than jet fins. I have seen GUE divers in turtle fins and they are more floppy-ish than jets.

What fins are there that are rigid except Jet Fins and the many clones
Based on my experience and observations, almost any traditional paddle fin is acceptable for a Fundamentals class. Of course, if you are signed up for a class and have questions about the suitability of some specific item of gear, then it's best to check directly with the instructor.

The important thing to remember is that in most cases, the diver's technique is more important than the particular type of fin that is used. One of the reasons why the JetFins are favored is that they give the diver more "feedback", which can make the kicks easier to learn. They are certainly not the only kind of fin that can be used, though. I can personally do all the kicks (including back-kick) with almost any type of paddle fin. And although I've never seen it done, I have heard claims that some folks can even back-kick in splits.

The main thing is to learn the correct technique to begin with, and then refine that by practicing and getting some good constructive criticism from someone who knows what to look for.

Last edited:
All the paddle fins will work for the class but the paddle fins sometimes do have very different characteristics.

I've been struggling with getting a working back kick this entire season wearing the Jet Fins. One of the more experienced members in my dive club mentioned issues with them and the back kick and how the XS Scuba Power fins were easier to learn in.

So this week I swapped fins with a fellow diver and tried the power fins...and immediately I finally, at last, got a real working back kick.

It can be done in the Jets and the Jets have a real advantage in frog kicks over the power fins, but the Power fins are a lot stiffer and easier to learn the kicks in.

It can be done in the Jets and the Jets have a real advantage in frog kicks over the power fins, but the Power fins are a lot stiffer and easier to learn the kicks in.
Interesting - I took rather the opposite approach on this. I decided that I would teach myself the back-kick by using some of the floppiest fins I could find (Mares Avantis, to be specific - roughly equivalent to what they are currently selling as the X3). It took me a while, but once I got to where I could back-kick with those, it made the JetFins a snap to use.

You are absolutely correct about different fins having different characteristics, though. I can usually (eventually) manage a passable technique with almost any paddle fin, but some of them are definitely easier to work than others. The main thing is that you have to have the mechanics down, otherwise you just keep working hard at the wrong thing. Once you "get it" (with any fin), then it's usually pretty easy to make the adjustment to a different fin if you have to switch for some reason.

I found the quickest way to learn the back kick is to learn how to back kick in a pool (or calm open water) without fins. This teaches the motion -- then just add fins. Watching the 5thd-x Intro to Tech DVD helps as well. :)

I found the quickest way to learn the back kick is to learn how to back kick in a pool (or calm open water) without fins. This teaches the motion -- then just add fins. Watching the 5thd-x Intro to Tech DVD helps as well. :)

Link to this DVD, please?

For purposes of clarification ... that link is to a local (Seattle) dive shop that used to be owned in partnership with AG. He and the current owner parted ways some time ago, and since AG owned the rights to the Fifth D name, the dive shop changed its name to Pacific Rim Aquatics. They retain the Fifth Dimension title under an agreement with AG, due to the fact that changing a brand as well-known as that takes time.

Fifth Dimension (the dive shop) and Fifth D-X (Andrew's subsequent business venture) are two completely different entities.

The reference to the DVD is the latter. Also, Fifth D-X has since migrated to UTD ... http://www.unifiedteamdiving.com/ ... and Andrew no longer supports the older website.

Here's a link to where you can purchase the videos mentioned above ... http://unifiedteamdiving.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=2&Itemid=90

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

I have seen GUE divers in turtle fins and they are more floppy-ish than jets.

Quite a few GUE-trained divers in Puget Sound wear Turtle fins. The reason is because Jet foot pockets come in odd sizes that do not accommodate drysuit boots well for normal-sized people ... the XL's are for women or midgets, and the XXL's are for NBA basketball players. Most normal folks who wear drysuits have to either opt for turbo soles or a different fin. I'm a normal size 9 boot, and chose Turtle fins because they allow me to wear the rock boots I prefer for local conditions (mostly shore entries over rocky terrain).

I also have a pair of Jets that I use for pool work and warm water diving ... where I'm using wetsuit booties. To be honest, I haven't noticed any performance difference between the Jets and the Turtles.

And FWIW - if I had my druthers, I'd be using OMS Slipstreams. They're slightly stiffer than Jets, and to my concern are slightly more responsive. They're also much lighter. Unfortunately, for some reason that defies logic they chose to use exactly the same foot pocket sizing conventions as the Jets.

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

And FWIW - if I had my druthers, I'd be using OMS Slipstreams. They're slightly stiffer than Jets, and to my concern are slightly more responsive. They're also much lighter. Unfortunately, for some reason that defies logic they chose to use exactly the same foot pocket sizing conventions as the Jets.

I don't know about that, Bob. The XXL Slipstreams are definitely a lot smaller than the XXL Jets. I own a pair, and they are slightly smaller than turtles. They are about the perfect size for my sz 13 rock boot.

Tom

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom