PADI Master diver?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

LOL You get a card 2 bags and 2 wall certificates. Its maybe 25 dollars worth. I guess the other 20 dollars would account for shipping and handling plus taxes so maybe you get close to your 45 back.

I don't see why anyone would want to waste the money on this cert. I'm about to get my PADI Divemaster cert when I send in the paperwork and that's a lot more meaningful than the "Master" Diver rating. And if you're concerned about flashing a professional card on a dive op due to liability or not wanting to get hassled with helping out, just keep your Rescue Diver cert on you. I do and its sufficient for any dive op I've ever used (and it should be).

I don't see why anyone would want to waste the money on this cert. I'm about to get my PADI Divemaster cert when I send in the paperwork and that's a lot more meaningful than the "Master" Diver rating. And if you're concerned about flashing a professional card on a dive op due to liability or not wanting to get hassled with helping out, just keep your Rescue Diver cert on you. I do and its sufficient for any dive op I've ever used (and it should be).

Some people like recognition? The Master Diver Certification is also sometimes included in the total price of a master diver course, which may include OW, AOW, Rescue, and 5 specialties, all for one price. AND, PADI runs specials which give you special physical rewards for getting the cert.

And Divemaster is an entirely different thing. It is not for everyone. It is not a recreational certification, it is a professional certification with very important responsibilities.

I got my certification just because I wanted too. I went through alot to earn it so why would I not want to go ahead and finish it out? In the meantime I am still debating of the divemaster course. I run a small buisness have a full time job and also try to squeeze time in as it is for diving. So maybe when life eases up Ill go for the dive master

Waste? Qualifying for the cert is certainly not a waste. Five specialties and 50 dives plus Rescue. After making that investment in time, money, and effort... is it worth a few extra bucks for the RECOGNITION certification which you have earned and for which you now qualify? I thought it was. Others may not. Different strokes. I don't really see why it is a matter of debate.

After posting an earlier reply, I see there are previous threads on this exact subject. The one referenced by the OP runs to seventy pages. SEVENTY PAGES!!! Another runs for twenty pages. Frankly folks, this is not worthy of that much attention, and I won't be bothered to wade through that much material on such a trivial subject.

BUT an important exception must be taken to the quoted reply. In a liability case, it doesn't matter what card you chose to 'show'. If you are a Divemaster, Instructor, or other professional diver rating, your professional duties cannot be absolved by simply failing to admit to your professional standing. In the event of an incident, all parties, witnesses, and passengers will routinely be examined and their certification status researched through all the major certification agencies and properly ascertained. Moreover, having failed to disclose your status, it may be argued that you have breached your duty and are guilty at least two of the necessary four elements to sustain a finding of liability.

They are: Duty, Breach of Duty, Proximate Cause, and Damages. Sure, you had absolutely no connection to this diver who happened to be on the same boat. But you failed to notice that his equipment configuration was inherently unsafe? AND you misrepresented your professional status to the dive boat operator? Friend, you are on the hook! Don't want that responsibility? Then DON"T step up to professional status. If you do, be sure you are prepared to carry the annual expense of proper liability insurance.

Else, continue on past PADI Master SD. Go for the NAUI Master Diver and get a better grasp on some of the academics. Go on for Advanced Nitrox and Decompression Procedures. For Trimix. Diver Propulsion Vehicles and Full Face Masks. For Cavern and Cave. Wreck Penetration. Rebreathers. It's a never ending world of underwater wonder. None of it entailing the responsibility and liability of professional status.

Unless you want to teach, and share your passion! But then you must step up to the plate, protecting yourself by having insurance and by taking your professional responsibilities with the utmost seriousness.

I will be turning my attention to other diving matters. Should this thread continue for another 68 pages, I wish you - one and all - the very best of luck!

Stay wet... Avra

Can you use the SDI Solo Diver course as one of the 5 specialties required for PMD?

Not sure about the SDI Solo Diver crossover. I'd have to look it up and its late and I'm lazy right now! That is a good course, imo.

I would recommend UW navigator, search and recovery, and National Geographic diver to round out your five. If you have a thorough and creative Instructor, those specialties can be a lot of fun and quite challenging and enlightening as well.

Enjoy the dives and congrats on your continued aspirations to learn and explore!

interesting how the diffrent agencies have diffrent specialties from other agencies isnt it? :)

The PADI "Master Diver" thing has come out in other threads in the past. The certification is PADI "Master Scuba Diver". A "Master Diver" is the highest non combatant dive rating of the US Navy. Personally I think that PADI MSD is a good thing as it intends to have people push out the envelope a little more and get trained in a variety of areas. I think the NAUI MSD cert is very good and it may behove PADI to look at doing a non profesional certification level for divers who want more theory but not become PADI Pros. As long as they don't call it "Master Chief Scuba Diver" it could be a good idea (BTW anybody heard of PADI "SEAL TEAM"? Ugh!).

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom