Borrow a BC?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

So are you saying your life does not depend on a functioning BC? So if the dump valves in your BC wouldn't hold you'd be ok at the surface for a prolonged period of time? Or, would you have enough sense to remove the LP inflator hose if the infalator button were to stick and head you to the surface? Just a thought.
Now I'm not saying that a used BC will do that, but any peice of gear needs to be maintained, and if done properly, should last for years.
Joe

Oh dear god how I'm tired of this argument. Did you notice the part where they recommended getting it checked out first? A BC, or a reg for that matter is not really all that sophisticated, and a simple dis-assembly and inspection will reveal any issues, possible saving you hundereds of hard earned dollars. Will somebody please tell me the difference between the reg that I've owned for a few years and had freshly inspected and serviced and a reg I bought used that's been correctly inspected and serviced?

By all means, shop smart, have gear inspected and serviced, but there is nothing wrong with buying and diving used gear.

I'm a real newbie and probably shouldn't be giving advice -- but if your budget is very limited, I'd suggest looking on Craigslist. There is a lot of scuba gear out there, and my impression is a lot of women's BC's. I picked up most of my equipment for half or less. It's important to have it checked out, but you can save a lot of money. My plan is to use this second hand equipment (except for my reg -- I bought that new since my life depends on it!) and then gradually buy newer equipment as I get a feel for what I like.

Thanks for the advice, but when it comes to regulator and BC I would rather stick with new ones even if it means spending more money. I have a real hard time to buy things that I have to wear and use with my body on line without being able to try them on.

I may consider looking for gloves, hood and other gadgets on Craiglist

rental gear is all used too, and many of us rely on that stuff.

Soakedlontra,
One thing. I purchased my Posidon's (primary with Octo) and my wife's Trident (primary and Octo) "new" from the same store at the same time - for me that was some serious cash. Come to find out they were "new" in that the shop had never sold them. Only problem is that the shop had "used" them for several years.

The Tridend ended up having broken part that caused it to free-flow. At first it was only the smallest of bubbles. After 10 dives it was major.

Anyway the point is, new gear can sometimes be used. Since then (of course) I don't use that shop - plus thankfully it went out of business. But also, I now check out the store before I make ANY purchases. Also, when I have any new piece of equipment I make sure to pay special attention to it - just in case.

Soakedlontra,
One thing. I purchased my Posidon's (primary with Octo) and my wife's Trident (primary and Octo) "new" from the same store at the same time - for me that was some serious cash. Come to find out they were "new" in that the shop had never sold them. Only problem is that the shop had "used" them for several years.

The Tridend ended up having broken part that caused it to free-flow. At first it was only the smallest of bubbles. After 10 dives it was major.

Anyway the point is, new gear can sometimes be used. Since then (of course) I don't use that shop - plus thankfully it went out of business. But also, I now check out the store before I make ANY purchases. Also, when I have any new piece of equipment I make sure to pay special attention to it - just in case.

Thanks. I will keep it in mind when I go shopping for an octopus, inflator hose and gauges on Saturday (I got a primary first and second stage 'second hand' but never used - a MARES ABYSS..Well at least if something goes wrong I can argue with the company in Italian). Holy Molly! Darn! Mamma mia! I will be so glad when I can finally settle with my own gear!

I'd still REALLY like to hook up with you and give you a chance at a BP/W, before you make your final gear decisions. What are you guys doing the weekend of Nov 1?

TSandM ... you're outta-sight.

I'd still REALLY like to hook up with you and give you a chance at a BP/W, before you make your final gear decisions. What are you guys doing the weekend of Nov 1?

Hello! I have just sent you a message with all the updates.

We do not have anything planned for the weekend of Nov 1.

It would be great if we could hook up somewhere!

Happy diving!:)

Do take her up on the chance to try a BP/W. After trying on a lot of BC's and using my borrowed BC for 15 dives (I did spend some time thinking about how I would handle a BC failure, but I won't go into that here), I ended up with a DiveRite Transpac and love it. You really have to try different options.
Just got back from six dives in Tahiti -- I'll post that in the forum on the Paul Gauguin cruise ship in a day or two when I get back down to earth.

Back
Top Bottom