How girls can avoid being hit on?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

This is an interesting topic to me. I always avoided hitting on girls because I didn't want to be one of "those kinds of guys". Unfortunately, after many, many years of trying to be a "nice guy" and not one of "those kind of guys" I found strong, conclusive evidence that, for the most part, it is "those kind of guys" who end up getting the girls. It's an incentive based system - and all the incentives are for "those kinds of guys". If the girls don't want to be hit on, they need to change the incentives :)

This is an interesting topic to me. I always avoided hitting on girls because I didn't want to be one of "those kinds of guys". Unfortunately, after many, many years of trying to be a "nice guy" and not one of "those kind of guys" I found strong, conclusive evidence that, for the most part, it is "those kind of guys" who end up getting the girls. It's an incentive based system - and all the incentives are for "those kinds of guys". If the girls don't want to be hit on, they need to change the incentives :)

:rofl3: Brilliant post! You hit the nail right on the head there.

My hubby's new students did OW 1,2 this weekend. They are an ad for the beautiful people. She- dark long hair, fair, blue eyes, perfect body(Onespeed, she could be in the HCT on Fridays). HE- tall, GQ jaw, dimple in chin, perfect abs and everything else, dark hair, brown eyes....

The whole boat held their breath(guts all sucked in), for the day. Nobody hit on her..... They were too afraid she wasn't really there, and nobody wanted to break the spell. The nicest couple ever too. Fun, smart.... I hate them. But, she also had a confident attitude and was cool. The attitude is key.

Wow! What a thread! As I was reading I kept saying to myself (yup, I talk to myself now, old age, I guess) I WILL NOT POST ON THE THREAD....but I can't resist:

Seems to me to be an education or values problem. I was educated (in the old days)to DO THINGS FOR WOMEN (now you can tell I was born in the Stone Age). Nowadays, these are the things I do and the comments I get back:

1. Open the car passenger door for a woman. " Hey, Leapy, you think I'm a cripple or something".
2. Open the door to any building and let the lady pass first. "Do you work here as a bellboy?"
3. Make dinner, clean up afterwards "Poor guy, you must have had a lonely childhood".
4. Carry grocery parcels so she carries nothing. "I am NOT giving you a TIP"
5. Try to give concrete solution to concrete problems. "I don't want your advice, just listen to me for Christ's sake".
6. Be attentive to women on social occasions. "Do you really think you are going to have sex with all of us?"
7. Help women on and off the dive boat. " I have two legs, in case you haven't noticed".
8. Help them get their gear on before they roll back into the 8ft Ocean waves. "I may be green in the face, throwing up and perspiring but I can do this myself, thank you".

9. Attempt to carry their gear down or up from the dive. "Do I look as though I am in a wheelchair, mister?"
10. Be attentive to women underwater whose husband, boyfriend or whatever dive buddies take no notice of (after all it goes with the job).............hey, THIS WORKS! Two minutes later her buddy stays no more than 2 feet away for the rest of the dive!

Wow! What a thread! As I was reading I kept saying to myself (yup, I talk to myself now, old age, I guess) I WILL NOT POST ON THE THREAD....but I can't resist:

Seems to me to be an education or values problem. I was educated (in the old days)to DO THINGS FOR WOMEN (now you can tell I was born in the Stone Age). Nowadays, these are the things I do and the comments I get back:

1. Open the car passenger door for a woman. " Hey, Leapy, you think I'm a cripple or something".
2. Open the door to any building and let the lady pass first. "Do you work here as a bellboy?"
3. Make dinner, clean up afterwards "Poor guy, you must have had a lonely childhood".
4. Carry grocery parcels so she carries nothing. "I am NOT giving you a TIP"
5. Try to give concrete solution to concrete problems. "I don't want your advice, just listen to me for Christ's sake".
6. Be attentive to women on social occasions. "Do you really think you are going to have sex with all of us?"
7. Help women on and off the dive boat. " I have two legs, in case you haven't noticed".
8. Help them get their gear on before they roll back into the 8ft Ocean waves. "I may be green in the face, throwing up and perspiring but I can do this myself, thank you".

9. Attempt to carry their gear down or up from the dive. "Do I look as though I am in a wheelchair, mister?"
10. Be attentive to women underwater whose husband, boyfriend or whatever dive buddies take no notice of (after all it goes with the job).............hey, THIS WORKS! Two minutes later her buddy stays no more than 2 feet away for the rest of the dive!

Honey, I am from the Deep South. I feel for you when you get those responses. I would NEVER say such things to you or any man who uses such good manners. I can certainly open my own door, but you are showing respect and gentlemanly behavior by opening it for me. The same goes for the rest. I can always tell you "Thank you darlin' but I am fine carrying this bag." I can always show appreciation for thoughtfulness. Some women are not secure enough to understand that you are not trying to dominate or make them weak... Others think you are hitting on them... Others are just rude..... My hubby is from Longview, Texas, and he will Always do the above behaviors and say maam. His momma would kill him if he didn't. My children will be just like him. Those women who can't figure out how to stop a guy from hitting on them, need to figure it out. It is not that tricky. And some think Everybody is hitting on them when the guy is just being a nice guy. Also, figure it out....

Honey, I am from the Deep South. I feel for you when you get those responses. I would NEVER say such things to you or any man who uses such good manners. I can certainly open my own door, but you are showing respect and gentlemanly behavior by opening it for me. The same goes for the rest. I can always tell you "Thank you darlin' but I am fine carrying this bag." I can always show appreciation for thoughtfulness. Some women are not secure enough to understand that you are not trying to dominate or make them weak... Others think you are hitting on them... Others are just rude..... My hubby is from Longview, Texas, and he will Always do the above behaviors and say maam. His momma would kill him if he didn't. My children will be just like him. Those women who can't figure out how to stop a guy from hitting on them, need to figure it out. It is not that tricky. And some think Everybody is hitting on them when the guy is just being a nice guy. Also, figure it out....
Ma'am, it sure is nice to meet a real lady. It sounds to me as though your husband is lucky man. I wish you and your husband and family well.

:worship:Nice to hear gentlemen still exist. While I take pride in being able to manage my own gear I appreciate offers of assistance. :no:Sometimes the most ladylike thing we can do is accept assistance with appreciation and grace! :shakehead:Unfortunately there aren't enough people who want to be ladies anymore!

I still say the best way to stop getting hit on is to behave like a lady and examine your own interpretation of what is happening!

Back
Top Bottom