Intro to Tech with Duane Johnson Sept 20-21, 2008

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

StreetDoctor, I envy your connection with Duane...I wish my OW instructor had half the skills he's got. It would have saved me years of bad habits and literally a couple thousand dollars on gear that I have "outgrown"...and not to give you a big head or anything, but we were all commenting on how the "new guy" looked more trimmed out in the water than we did.

Divin'Hoosier, I know you tried DJ's patience...I saw your video :mooner:

D

Divin'Hoosier, I know you tried DJ's patience...I saw your video :mooner:

D
Hey, we didn't get to see his video :shocked2: We still haven't gotten the videos from our class in August. Duane mentioned some sort of issue with downloading the camera and wanting to give us a list of things to work on...I don't think there's enough paper in the world to print out that list :rofl3:
Ber :lilbunny:

It was almost as funny as yours. :lotsalove:

And you both have DVD copies of each others thanks to me. I think Donny wins with the cramp removal mid helicopter kick.

Duane has an excellent reputation as an instructor and it's well deserved. He listens to his students questions and gives real answers not just because. I took the rescue course from him at the beginning of the summer and I would take another course from him.

Thanks for the good comments guys, anytime you're in the area send me a PM and I'd love to come dive with ya. Where do you guys normally dive at down in indy? Hopefully next year I'll get into a set of doubles. Trust me I'm very greatful to have hooked up with Duane as early as I have, especially after reading some of the instructor/student stories on here. I've only dove with him a few times and I've already learned a ton. I'll be diving with him again this weekend while my girlfriend is taking AOW with him. I picked up some jetfins and a couple finger spools instead of that reel I had, haven't dove in a few weeks can't wait :D

We used to dive at Blue Springs (A lake over 60 feet deep made for the serious diver) quite a bit. They got flooded out this summer and are still trying to recover. Hidden Paradise is close to Blue Springs, France park is up closer to Haigh (Logansport, IN). We have Natural Springs (Natural Springs Resort: Driving Directions) near Dayton, OH, its a good place to bring the family and camp out. Of course there is always my personal favorite, Gilboa, OH. I have not been to White Rock or Portage (both near Gilboa) but have heard good things about them, nor have we been to Long Lake in Lima, OH, Sunset Lake in Indiana.
We try to get up to the Great Lakes once a year, but with three kids it gets kinda hard to make weekend long dive trips. Jim and some other guys took a week trip up to the St. Lawrance and came back with a great report (where is the SB post for that trip Jimbo?). I am hoping to convince my dive buddy that we need to head out there sometime soon.

D

Just a quick note...I did NOT label that link to Blue Springs...SB took my copy/paste job and showed the intro page title as the link name. In all fairness, you may be albe to hit 60' now that the water level is up, but you might have to bury your depth gauge. As for the "serious diver" proclamation...well, I guess I'll give 'em that one. Anyone who is willing to pay $20 to dive in that mud hole is pretty serious about diving.

Hello all,

Im realy sorry that I could not have video taped you on Sunday. Duane Runs a great Intro to tech. From what Ive seen of you all or right were you should be for intro. Now you have the right way to start with no bad habbits. Hope to see you out on the lake this up comming season.

Im glad you guys had a good time. I remember when I first time Fundies, underwater Im asked how much air I have left, and wasn't allowed to look at my spg "How the hell should I know, no one can do that" Then Im introduced to the 5 minute dive (10-20-30-20-10), I laughed at my instructor, "ok, but this is going to be ugly" I pulled it off "pretty" well. He made me do it again and this time removed my mask, that time it was pretty ugly. It was all good and I learned so much! Just keep practicing and it will come to you. I also remember starting off with a frog kick, it felt so odd, my legs aren't supposed to move this way I thought and they did have a mind of their own. Now it feels really weird to break into a flutter kick. Ahh the memories... gotta get ready for this weekends dive with helium and two deco bottles, woo hoo!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom