Blotchy Canon Housing

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

bdavey

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Bought a G9 & WP-DC21 Canon housing for it for my last trip to the Maldives. I'm not really a diver but spend a lot of time in the water snorkeling. All was going well getting used to the camera & working it underwater, but then I noticed on one trip that there where some small marks on the inside of the case in the area of the LCD viewer. That evening I tried to clean them off but they refused to budge. As the holiday went on the marks got worse & it got to the point where it was quite difficult to see because the light from the LCD was illuminating the blotches. The blotches also appeared on other parts of the case but I wasn't so worried about those.

Sent the case back to Canon when I returned & after 7 weeks & several phone calls I got the case back yesterday in exactly the same state. I can see that they've tried to clean it by the scratches left on the inside & to say the least I'm a little disappointed.

The case was only ever in the sun on the way to & from the sea, no water ever got into the case & I always made sure the air conditioning was on when I loaded the camera.

I can only assume that it's the heat from the camera which has caused the problem but was wondering if anybody else has had the same problem.

Thanks, Bob

I've used the WP-DC21 housing for a year now with no problems, aside from having to change out the o-ring once.

It sounds like maybe some sort of chemical got in the case? Maybe during production? I would hope Canon would offer better support than what you describe.

Nathan

I am not familiar with Canon products,(Nikon shooter) but if the problem you are having is on plastic, clear or acrylic take a look at www.micro-surface.com kit number NC 78-1. I have used it on my acrylic dome port and other parts of the housing. Follow the instructions. It works. Removes scratches and small nicks.
Good Luck,

Thanks for that.

One of the things I do from time to time is terminate fiber optic cables & for polishing the ends we use very fine grit paper so I will give that a go on the case & see if it makes any difference.

I need the case for a trip this week but when I return I'll send it back to Canon & demand a replacement regardless, as there has to be some sort of manufacturing problem.

Back
Top Bottom