PC Naming of things

What would you name an area or post about handicapped divers?

• Handicapped SCUBA Divers

Votes: 3 15.8%
  • Disabled SCUBA Divers

Votes: 7 36.8%
  • Challenged Divers

Votes: 3 15.8%
  • Other name, suggestion in post below

Votes: 6 31.6%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Works for me. Seeing that makes me think of someone with a physical disability. Now a challenged diver, I think of someone with a learning disability.

Thank you all for your contributions. I have what I was seeking.

I too am not a fan of the PC police as it will soon leave us all speachless. I just had somthing that needed naming and the name had to communicate that the target audience was SCUBA divers who have physical or mental challenges. So I needed a name that would get the attention of that audience without offending that same audience.

Thank you all for your imput.

I personally don't care what we are called, I'm wheelchair bound and call myself a diver, nothing else. But if I had to choose one it would be Divers with Disabilities

I say that anything other than "SCUBA diver" would marginalize a disabled person from the rest of the diving world. I generally detest the PC craziness infecting all aspects of this life. Disabled people qualify with the same open water course as everybody else.

I think that that is the beauty of SCUBA diving. It is a group of sorts that can call all of its members "Divers" irrespective of their phyical limitations, race, skin colour etc. (after all we all look funny in neoprene and a mask :rofl3:). If you are a certified diver, then you are a diver and that is all it takes to be a member.

I personally don't care what we are called, I'm wheelchair bound and call myself a diver, nothing else. But if I had to choose one it would be Divers with Disabilities

I think that that is the beauty of SCUBA diving. It is a group of sorts that can call all of its members "Divers" irrespective of their phyical limitations, race, skin colour etc. (after all we all look funny in neoprene and a mask :rofl3:). If you are a certified diver, then you are a diver and that is all it takes to be a member.

Neoprene and a mask is funny, but a dry suit and ccr is even funnier, especially when I have to get tipped into the water or hauled out (happens sometimes). Of course it's usually me laughing, the crew are usually to busy swearing. :rofl3:

Back
Top Bottom