Tobago

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

agwatts

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
Hello,

Has anyone taken a dive trip to Tobago? I'm looking at Manta Dive in Tobago and was wondering if anyone has used their services.

Thanks,
Greg

Manta Lodge? When compared to other neighboring operations, I would rate their dive op an A, and their accommodations a C-. http://www.mantalodge.com/accommodation.htm

Manta Dive's Scuba Ops are better than the neighboring Blue Waters Inn, which I also rate an A, but BWI has a real live concrete pier and better boats. Manta makes up for that (In my letter grade score) by attracting a decidedly more dive oriented customer with DM's that follow that lead. I would guess that less than 10% of BWI customers are divers. BWI handles, moves and nightly cleans and dries your gear for you.

Downsides? The Manta Lodge can be quite noisy late into the night, it is right next to the main street (such as it is), and you have to wade out into the surf to the boats on calm days, otherwise... They now utilize the "Speyside Jetty" which is about a mile away. Plusses include a pool, and a very short walk to local restaurants and beer joints plus everyone staying there is diving.

The bar rail is a large Green Moray carved out of wood.

I prefer the totally tribal place next door for diving, Red Man... if he's still there. He will do whatever you want if he knows you can handle it.

Tobago Dive Experience is the dive op at Manta Lodge. Manta Dive is based near the airport.

We really enjoyed TDE and Manta Lodge and did some awsome dives. I can't comment on Manta Dive, but Speyside is were the best area for diving. Next time we must dive the sisters.

I have to disagree with the recommendation for Manta Lodge. We stayed there in september, and I was not pleased. There were too many items to list but we were promised things that never happened when we arrived, nitrox not available, the staff kept doing "drfit dives" into the current, we were promised one boat for our entire group, that never happened, the owner was very difficult to deal with to fix these items. I would not stay with them again. I will say the employees were great, but NOT Sean, the owner.

Thanks everyone...I'm looking into buying the dive operation at Manta Dive.

Any suggestions to improve the experience.

Thanks,
Greg

Any suggestions to improve the experience.

Greg- after trying unsuccessfully to purchase various properties on Tobago, I did learn that land title of ownership is cloudy, murky and hazy at best.

Don't know if you were looking at buying land, but if so- go with caution.

I admire your dream! :wink:

That end of the island, the Southern part near the airport- you'll have better access to outlets for (some) parts, cooperative neighbors, supplies in general, and the bread and butter- day divers and cruise ship divers.

Unfortunately, many people will walk up and want to dive the North End because that's what's unusual and different about Tobago. The fast currents and the spectacular view of the offshore islands- that's a big draw. It is unfortunately a darned long ride from where you propose, and most of the potential customers are ill suited for this.

Back
Top Bottom