Petite Diver cannot find full 7mm suit

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The new White's Fusion dry suit is actually easier to done than any wetsuit.

It has the flexibility of a 1 mm wet suit and all the perks of a dry suit.

For the person in So. Cal. I've seen one of these fusion suits for sale on the rack at Sea D Sea in Redondo Beach. The drysuit looks to be certainly confortable. It is not much thicker than a lycra dive skin. In fact I think it is Lycra.

But how durable is the suit? Here in So. Cal we have rocks on the beaches in PV. How well does the fusion stand up to entries and exist on rocky beaches and the access trails? What if the surge pushes you into sea urgents? Does it puncture? The suit is about $1,600 I think. I'd kind of hope it would last a few years

My Bare HD wears like iron I'll just replace seals as they fail I just can't see the HD ever wearing out but no doubt the fusion looks far more comfortable but it looks like I'd only want to dive off a boat with it.

Hello Everyone,
I absolutely cannot find a store or website that carries a wet suit for my girlfriend. She is 5'2'' and weighs about 105.

I have been in contact directly with Body Glove, Oneill, and Aqualung manufacturers, and they apparently don't make dive suits for small women or kids anymore. I know Henderson and some other brands make smaller suits, but I have yet to find one.

Does anyone know a site or location in southern California that sells smaller suits? Please help.

Thanks!

sounds like my kinda woman, send her to me and I will buy her a custom drysuit... :cool2:

For the person in So. Cal. I've seen one of these fusion suits for sale on the rack at Sea D Sea in Redondo Beach. The drysuit looks to be certainly confortable. It is not much thicker than a lycra dive skin. In fact I think it is Lycra.
The Fusion drysuit has a bilam waterproof shell underneath the outer lycra material.
But how durable is the suit? Here in So. Cal we have rocks on the beaches in PV. How well does the fusion stand up to entries and exist on rocky beaches and the access trails? What if the surge pushes you into sea urgents? Does it puncture? The suit is about $1,600 I think. I'd kind of hope it would last a few years
Long-term durability of the Fusion is still an unknown quantity. The drysuit just hasn't been in production that long. So far, some customers have put on a couple hundred dives with no major issues. There have been a few complaints about premature "aging" of the dry zipper. I'm not sure if this is an isolated issue...or design-related. Puncturing the suit is a concern as it is with all drysuits. I don't think the Fusion is more puncture-prone in an urchin environment than any other shell drysuit.
I'm not sure that your quoted price is accurate. ScubaToys sells the suit alone for $1,188 (before their 10% Forum discount).
My Bare HD wears like iron I'll just replace seals as they fail I just can't see the HD ever wearing out but no doubt the fusion looks far more comfortable but it looks like I'd only want to dive off a boat with it.
I have regular dive buddies here in San Diego who use the Fusion suit and do a majority of their dives from shore. No problems with abrasive wear from the sand. If you ever get the opportunity to test-dive a Fusion, I highly recommend you do so.

Commercial diving friends of mine give the Fusion low marks for durability ... but then they are very hard on their suits.

Commercial diving friends of mine give the Fusion low marks for durability ... but then they are very hard on their suits.
@Thalassamania: Did your commercial diving friends have any specific complaints? Lycra disintegrating where webbing rubs? Bilam losing its waterproof integrity? Holes in the knee? Zipper wearing out? Any particular environments that "eat up" the suit? I'm just curious. My gf really likes her Fusion, but she's only in it once or twice a week...not everyday.

I got the impression that the problem was with physical wear, holes in the knees, that sort if thing. I was NOT the inherent quality of materials or construction.

I got the impression that the problem was with physical wear, holes in the knees, that sort if thing. I was NOT the inherent quality of materials or construction.

A lot of people don't get that there's a difference between the "quality" of materials, vs the "suitability" of those materials for use in a particular purpose or environment. (Not speaking specifically to the White's fusion, but rather the overarching "which drysuit material is best" discussions.)

Agree with Mselenaous...I am 5'4 and have a number of suits, but the one I love to wear is my Henderson Titanium Hyperstretch. This suit does fit like a glove, is super easy to don/doff, and if you can find her a small or xs size, it will probably be perfect.

Body Glove certainly makes suits for a woman that size. I have a current student that's a bit smaller and she found a well-fitting suit.

I suggest you stop by a shop and actually try on a size 4 or 4/5 before you start discounting brands. I'm sure you'll find several brands that have a size that fits well.

I would recommend the stretchier "nicer" neoprene varieties. Someone that size will have an easier time putting the suit on/off when made from a more pliable material.

I'm having the OTHER problem of not finding an off-the-rack suit to fit me - too fat and coupled with short legs and arms.

I currently have a New Wave/New Horizon/whatever they call themselves nowadays wetsuit. Very happy with it. I've dove in the SoCal winter months down to 100-ft plus and it keeps me warm enough. Not toasty warm, but warm enough. For a lady with 105-lbs, even the 7-mil titanium TPlush won't be enough to keep her warm during a winter, but then that's why we have vests and other designs like farmer john.

Anyway, it doesn't take but a minute for me to don my 1-piece wetsuit. Slide in, throw on the boots, zip the ankles, throw on the gloves, zip the wrists, throw on the hood, zip the front. Voila!

I usually do boat dives, so that's three to four dives a day at around 45-minutes or so. But I must say that I do have "natural" insulation. :D

Anyway, after enjoying the fit of a custom cut wetsuit, I won't be buying off-the-rack stuff any more.

Back
Top Bottom