Time to go dry!?!?!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Oside Jimc

Contributor
Reaction score
Got an offer from Rick's Diving Locker in Escondido that is just too good to refuse, I'm sick of freezing my ass off after the first dive.

I'm leaning toward a Signature Series TLS350 w/polartec undergarmet.
Any advice?
Is this a decent deal?
Zip seals or not?
Rock Boots or Turbo Soles?
Is the xtra $$ worth it for the Signature Series? (Personally I like things that fit right, is that a big deal for a dry suit?)

20% Off All DUI Dry Suits!
Purchase Any DUI Dry Suit Between Now And Friday Oct.31st Get 20%off Plus We Will Include The PADI Dry Suit Specialty Course Absoluetly FREE!

And Get A FREE Fleece Liner With PADI Diving Society Membership!

Call or Come In Today!
(New Prices Go into Effect Nov.01)
1 Year Same As Cash Financing Available!

yes make sure it fits right , i would go zip seals and Turbo Soles for sure i would even think about putting a pocket on it too and self downing there is a lot to put on the suits but comes down to what kind of diver are you and your trim in water if you think you be on the bottom diging in sand or just on the ground a lot look in to putting cleaver knee and shin pads on there too mean the list goes on think going to be in the water longer then a hr put a cathedral on there.

but for sure go with zip seals and turbo soles and self downing

i would go Turbo Soles

What are the advantages/disadvantages to turbo soles over rock boots? I like the idea that the rock boots seem to offer more protection to the suit climbing over rocks, but of course I have no real clue.

What are the advantages/disadvantages to turbo soles over rock boots? I like the idea that the rock boots seem to offer more protection to the suit climbing over rocks, but of course I have no real clue.
Turbo soles offer more flexibility and are quick to don, rock boots are less flexible and take time to put on, they are superior when you have to cross a lot of rocky terrain to get to the water. As I do mostly shore diving, I've chosen rock boots.

Zip seals will allow you to use dry gloves easily.

what is says is right but myself i try not to do many beach dives where there's a lot of rocks to enter or exit i would use a wet suit as far zip seals are just makes changing them out that much easier if your packing your gear find there is a hole you can have it fixed in 2 mins vs 24hrs takes to re glue seals

Wonder if they have any deals on undergarments....just bought a drysuit (should get it Friday, will have to make sure it fits properly!), but don't have undergarments yet. It's amazing how expensive undergarments are....gah!

Jim, I would recommend getting rockboots if you'll be doing a fair amount of shore diving here in the San Diego area. You could easily do La Jolla Shores with turbo soles, but if you're considering more challenging entries/exits in the La Jolla Cove area...or the long hike to Scripps Canyon...I would go with the rockboots.
The major disadvantages of rockboots include:
  • The possibility of having to purchase fins with larger foot pockets.
  • One more thing to forget when you go diving.
  • Cost.
Many drysuit divers have opted to use appropriately-sized Chuck Taylors as their rockboots. Chuck Taylors are usually narrower than rockboots, so they might fit into your current fin foot pockets.
Hope this helps.

Thanks everybody, it's on order. Since my plans include graduating to more shore diving here in SoCal (thus the dry suit), I did go with the rockboots and just ordered some OMS slipstreams (and spring straps) to go fit the rockboots.
In 4 weeks the real fun is going to begin, learning how to dive all over again!

Wonder if they have any deals on undergarments....just bought a drysuit (should get it Friday, will have to make sure it fits properly!), but don't have undergarments yet. It's amazing how expensive undergarments are....gah!

I think it only includes the suits, but you could give them a call.
I just bit the bullet and bought the polartec jumpsuit. I look at it this way, ever see a U-Haul at a funeral where somebody was "taking it with them"?

Got an offer from Rick's Diving Locker in Escondido that is just too good to refuse, I'm sick of freezing my ass off after the first dive.

I'm leaning toward a Signature Series TLS350 w/polartec undergarmet.
Any advice?
Is this a decent deal?
Zip seals or not?
Rock Boots or Turbo Soles?
Is the xtra $$ worth it for the Signature Series? (Personally I like things that fit right, is that a big deal for a dry suit?)

20% Off All DUI Dry Suits!
Purchase Any DUI Dry Suit Between Now And Friday Oct.31st Get 20%off Plus We Will Include The PADI Dry Suit Specialty Course Absoluetly FREE!

And Get A FREE Fleece Liner With PADI Diving Society Membership!

Call or Come In Today!
(New Prices Go into Effect Nov.01)

1 Year Same As Cash Financing Available!

I prefer an external boot to the Turbo soles.
Using external boots provides you with better arch support and a better sole. This make shore diving a lot easier. It also allows you to replace the boots without sending your dry suit back to DUI.

I have used Rock Boots and have also used SeaSoft SunRay boots and I prefer the SeaSoft SunRay boots. They have excellent arch support, provide more warmth and have a side zipper instead of the shoe lace system DUI uses on their Rock Boots.

Bob (NWGratefulDiver here on ScubaBoard) uses the same SeaSoft SunRay boots with his DUI dry suits.

Jim, I use a Whites Catalyst and love diving it. Most of my diving here in SOCal is from boats, some beach and at the Dive Park in Catalina. I just use a pair of DeepSea wetsuit boots and would buy them again.

Happy diving in your new drysuit!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom