I Use Air More Than Others

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I believe that when you exhale through your mouth that you draw air out of your tank.

I noticed this too. :headscratch: The only way you would be drawing air out of your tank when exhaling is if you were using circular breathing, which I don't believe is possible with normal scuba regulators.

I assume by what he means is that exhale simply means air that used to be in your tank is now in the water leaving less in your tank.

Can't think of any other possible meaning for it.

I'm sure I use more air than others too, but every time I've been diving it seems the group all comes up at the same time. On a recent dive, some of the divers were talking about focusing on your exhale and that helps. I use less air than when I started so I think the more dive you put in the better you get. I use the most air when I am going down (strange?)... I'm learning to just relax during this part of the dive. I'm ok once I'm down and moving. I do well during the safety stop. I think it's just getting in more dives and letting all that training sink in.

I use a more air than others. I always have to come up before everyone else. (Even when I was getting certified I used more air than everyone in class). I know I'm new to diving and everyone keeps telling me that as I get more "experience" I should use less air.

I was thinking of getting a 100 cu Al tank which should give me a little more bottom time than a standard 80 cu Al. I understand it will be heavier and as the air gets lower in the tank it will become more boyant (sp?). Is this correct?
If you can handle the cost, I'd be more inclined to recommend a steel 100. Because the tank is smaller and the metal is thinner, it is much lighter than an AL100 would be.

A Catalina AL100 weighs 46.1lbs, empty. A steel 3442 100 weighs 33lbs, empty. Assuming the air weighs the same, you can see hauling the AL100 down to the beach will be a lot tougher.

Yes, your air consumption will improve over time. However, don't let anyone tell you they are a "better" diver than you because they use less air. Air consumption is based on a lot of things that have nothing to do with your skills as a diver.

I noticed this too. :headscratch: The only way you would be drawing air out of your tank when exhaling is if you were using circular breathing, which I don't believe is possible with normal scuba regulators.
It's not possible, circular breathing is breathing out through the mouth and in through the nose. (Woodwind musician so I learned how to do this as a trick early in life.)

I'm sure I use more air than others too, but every time I've been diving it seems the group all comes up at the same time.

Fortunately in most places you dont have to group dive.

Back
Top Bottom