MOD markings and Stages

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

MOD marking is used exactly to prevent practice like this. Positionig tanks is something you should not rely on for switching purposes. Since this is "Practitioners Zone" this has to be pointed out as wrong practice. Unmarked stages are simply wrong. How can your team confirm correct switch (even surface switch to stage) if you use unmarked tank? DIR switching procedures are consistent and arguments like "80's for stages and 40's for deco", "top-leash", etc. should not be considered as valid ones.

Should I start marking my doubles as well? I identify them because they are 104s and are on my back.

But yes, you are correct. To be absolutely, 100% DIR the stages should be marked and according to standards it must be a permanent marking (duct tape and a felt are not permanent).

I'm a bad DIR-er for diving without a marked stage and should be spanked...please.

Should I start marking my doubles as well? I identify them because they are 104s and are on my back.
It's not about you identifying it's about your team identifying. You're team-mates have to be sure you carry them underwater :)

But yes, you are correct. To be absolutely, 100% DIR the stages should be marked and according to standards it must be a permanent marking (duct tape and a felt are not permanent).
I guess GUE MOD stickers are ok :)

I recently e-mailed Jarrod Jablonski for clarification about whether bottom stages required MOD markings or not, and he had this to say:

"Thank you for your question and for helping to identify a lack of consistency on our part. I do prefer to teach to mark bottom stages though your question highlights an area where they organization has been unclear. I don't see the lack of marking as especially dangerous because it is clear these are bottom stages. Yet, I do not like the idea of bottles without markings and will communicate this standard more broadly to the instructors. Thank you for your question and for highlighting an area of inconsistency."

And in response to a follow-up question regarding what PPO2 to mark for, he replied:

"You should mark the stages with an appropriate bottom PO2 not to exceed 1.2."

So there it is. Hope that's useful to you all.

Cheers,

~Jeremy

I recently e-mailed Jarrod Jablonski for clarification about whether bottom stages required MOD markings or not, and he had this to say:

"Thank you for your question and for helping to identify a lack of consistency on our part. I do prefer to teach to mark bottom stages though your question highlights an area where they organization has been unclear. I don't see the lack of marking as especially dangerous because it is clear these are bottom stages. Yet, I do not like the idea of bottles without markings and will communicate this standard more broadly to the instructors. Thank you for your question and for highlighting an area of inconsistency."

And in response to a follow-up question regarding what PPO2 to mark for, he replied:

"You should mark the stages with an appropriate bottom PO2 not to exceed 1.2."

So there it is. Hope that's useful to you all.

Cheers,

~Jeremy
Thanks Jeremy; that's exactly what was taught during my Tech-2 class.

Nice that you can send emails to the head of the organization and get a response like that. Also nice that he says he'll take it under advisement as something to have standardized.

Nice that you can send emails to the head of the organization and get a response like that.
I can add that I have the same experiance with any of GUE instructors I've contacted.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom