11-22mm lens vs 9-18mm lens

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

dkayuk

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Hi all,

I am slowly building-up my Olympus system and so far I have

Olympus E-520
50mm ZD macro lens
14-42mm kit lens (which I don't intend to use u/w).

I am quite keen on land photography too, so I'd like to buy a WA lens that will produce good results both on land and u/w. So far, I've discounted the fish-eye because that has limited appeal to me on land and the 7-14mm due to high cost.

My choice is between the 11-22mm lens vs 9-18mm lens. I know that there is currently no port for the 9-18mm. However, the 11-22m seems to have a narrower coverage angle of 89 degrees as compared to the 9-18mm which has a 100 degree angle.

I've never used an SLR setup u/w before so I would like to make the right decision. Has anyone used the 11-22mm lens underwater and what are your impressions? If you can post pics, even better!!

Also, are there any definite plans for the port for the 9-18mm?

I'm planning to buy the u/w gear next year but I'm quite keen to buy the WA lens for use on land as soon as possible.

thx

DK

The 9-18mm has just been released. I've been looking at it here at DEMA and the Olympus folks agree that it makes a nice addition at a reasonable cost. It would be a good overlap for either the kit 14-42 or 14-54mm.

It fits the dome port PPO-E04 and there will be a zoom ring released shortly for it.

Jack

is the 9mm-18 available anywhere ? I am going for a photoworkshop to Bali at the end of november and I would like to use this lens over there.
jan

Hi Jan

I don't know if you are referring to availability in the US or in the UK. I live in the UK and have just managed to order one today from my local camera shop for pickup early next week.

Drew a blank with all the UK-based web-retailers I tried.

I have no idea about US shops.

thx

DK

Yes, It's available in the US. Sorting through DEMA info and so forth, but should have it up on my site soon. Contact me if you want one, I can get in a couple of days if they have stock.

Jack

I have used the 11 to 22 behind the Olympus recommended flat port and the Olympus PPO-E04 dome port with best results using the dome port and 7 to 14 mm zoom extension port.

Olympus says the 9 to 18 mm works best behind the PPO-E04 dome port with no extension and the new gear, (photo attached). This lens is now widely available in the U.S. My thinking is that the 9 to 18 zoom will be the better choice for W/A underwater.
The flair on the end of the gear is to prevent stray light from the "pop-up" flash entering the lens when shooting with fiber optics.

P.S. no diopter required with the 9 to 18 zoom/PPO-E04 dome.

Phil Rudin

Attachments

• -220471.jpg
    -220471.jpg
    112.2 KB · Views: 132
How about some advice between the 7-14 and the 9-18. The 7-14mm is brutally expensive but is it worth the extra money (more than twice teh 9-18mm)?

I have not used the 9 to 18 zoom yet so I don't know how well it compares to my 7 to 14 zoom which I use all the time for my W/A work.

Phil Rudin

7-14 price is brutal, but seems to be dropping about $100-150 or so at most major photo outlets probably as a result of the more inexpensive 9-18 becoming available.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom