Review, White's 5mm Heat Glove

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

PinkPADIgal

PADI Master Instructor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
http://www.whitesdiving.com/index.php?site=4&id=118&cid=285

So, I am back in my summer drysuit and I needed a new pair of wet gloves. I decided to dive with the White's 5mm Heat Gloves last night in Puget Sound to see how they would work. I have dove with them a couple times before, and liked them, but last night I wanted to pay attention on how well they worked for me.

Donning: A little difficult with full gear on. I found it simplier with no gear on, but I like to put on gloves as the very last thing. I will continue to work to find the best solution.

In-Water: First, my hands don't get wet. When they did, I didn't even notice. The water was 47 degrees last night and normally my hands are the first to suffer from the cold. Not last night. I was pleasantly surprised.

Dexterity: Excellent. I noticed my hand signals underwater were crisp and easy to understand by my buddy. Since my fingers were not cold, I could actually move my hands rather than making wierd gestures at my buddy. Adjusting my mask underwater and retucking hair under my hood was much easier than doing it with my drygloves. I also found adjusting my drysuit valves and grabbing my BC inflater was much easier. I have very thin fingers and normally a glove fitting my hand properly is difficult. While this glove has wide fingertips, I was surprised at how easy it was to use my hands under water.

Post Dive: While putting them on was a little difficult, taking them off was easy.

Final decision: I have found my summer diving glove! Any glove that can keep my hands warmer than a dry glove for 50 minutes in Puget Sound is a keeper!

So, I am back in my summer drysuit and I needed a new pair of wet gloves. I decided to dive with the White's 5mm Heat Gloves last night in Puget Sound to see how they would work. I have dove with them a couple times before, and liked them, but last night I wanted to pay attention on how well they worked for me.

Donning: A little difficult with full gear on. I found it simplier with no gear on, but I like to put on gloves as the very last thing. I will continue to work to find the best solution.

!

Just done a week diving the German High Seas fleet in Scapa Flow, botom temp of 11 C/ 50 F .. I found the gloves a little difficult to put on for 1st dive of the day.

While they were certainly warm enough, and comfortable, the thickened finger ends made undoing some snaps a little awkward, same for operating camera controls.

The biggest issue though was 2nd dive ... they were difficult to get on, especially having got one on, sorted out wrist fitting, and then folding down the Fusion Tech skin wrist cover ... then quite difficult to do for 2nd glove ... fingers would not 'slide' up inside the wet glove, and trying to sort seal out with gloved fingers not easy.

But nice & warm :)

In-Water: First, my hands don't get wet. When they did, I didn't even notice. The water was 47 degrees last night and normally my hands are the first to suffer from the cold. Not last night. I was pleasantly surprised.

Dexterity: Excellent. I noticed my hand signals underwater were crisp and easy to understand by my buddy. Since my fingers were not cold, I could actually move my hands rather than making wierd gestures at my buddy. Adjusting my mask underwater and retucking hair under my hood was much easier than doing it with my drygloves. I also found adjusting my drysuit valves and grabbing my BC inflater was much easier. I have very thin fingers and normally a glove fitting my hand properly is difficult. While this glove has wide fingertips, I was surprised at how easy it was to use my hands under water.

Post Dive: While putting them on was a little difficult, taking them off was easy.

Final decision: I have found my summer diving glove! Any glove that can keep my hands warmer than a dry glove for 50 minutes in Puget Sound is a keeper!
Hi PPG...i love my suit..I find any of the 5-7mil wet dry gloves so cumbersome and hard to work in...i feel like i cant clip and unclip.. do you think these gloves would be any different?
i also have a real hard time getting the second glove on, the last two dives i have sprayed some watered down soap or hair conditioner into the glove and it slips right on...this cant hurt my seals can it?

Depends on what you are using and what type of seals you have. I would guess that it would be fine, but make sure you rinse your suit very well after your dive.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom