Auto TTL, is it worth the price?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Wisnu, once again thanks! So there aren't any special requirements to attach the Inon strobes to the housing. That's good to know.

The Inon's take 4AAs, not two :wink: I love my Inon 240s.

They can be hard wired or take fibre optic, depending on your housing and your camera.

You can't go wrong with the Ike's or the Inons, imho.

I like Inon coz they are nice and small, give me lots of control with manual settings - which I use all the time, have the option of ttl - which I never use, but many do, and last forever on a set of AAs.

Alcina, which gives more powerful output, the Z240 or ike ds 160?

I'm looking at getting a new camera, housing, and strobes. I'm either going to get a Canon G9 or it's replacement (G10 - which should be announced in the next month or so).

The Auto TTL feature (where the strobes automatically determine how much power to use) has to be the nicest feature of all time. You no longer have to manually change the power settings before each picture.

Auto TTL requires the housing and strobes must be compatible. For example, to use the Auto TTL feature the Canon G9 Ikelite housing requires Ikelite strobes. If you use Inon strobes with the Ikelite housing you're stuck in Manual mode.

Inon strobes are great but they don't make an AD Mount for the G9. I'm waiting to see if Inon will make an AD Mount for the G10.

For users that have Auto TTL, how much has it changed your picture taking? Is it worth the price?

Thx, Chris

Chris,

Just to clarify something that was brought to my attention about the G9 and G10. The "TTL" ONLY works in Auto modes of the Camera (P, TV, AV). If you switch to manual, TTL does not work and the flash is also manual. This is really unfortunate too, because I was getting close to making the purchase for my daughter to use a G10.

Why would canon do this? :confused: I guess they figure if you are in manual shooting mode, then you should know what you want the flash to be also. However, that is really short sighted on their part. Underwater photography is best done in manual mode so the camera doesn't try to set shutter/aperture for the lower light (really a problem on deeper dives or cloudy days).

So, you really loose out with the G9 or G10.. I guess I'll keep looking for my daughter, but if you were purchasing with the idea that you were going to get TTL for your underwater shots, you also will need to be willing to sacrifice shot control to get it.

Oh yea.. I forgot to mention.. Even if you were thinking you could use the fiber optic method and use the DS-TTL like on the YS-110a, or Inon Z-240, that isn't the case. Since the camera will turn off the TTL on the internal flash as well, not just external flashes with the hot shoe. In a nut shell, the fiber optic folks will have to shoot manual power mode if they put the camera in manual mode also.

Now I am considering Epoque DS230 - no TTL but more power and much cheaper almost half Inon D2000; unless s2000 come with attractive price.

Not a true statement. The Epoque DS230 is NOT as powerful as any Inon. Plus it uses only 2 AA batteries and has a pathetic 7 sec. recycle time.

http://www.digitaldiver.com.au/strobe.htm

I have always said: With strobes....you get what you pay for.

I am on my 3rd housed DSLR and still using the same Inon Z240's.

HTH,
Dave

Canon g9 - Sea & Sea YS27 Fiber Optic - Manual Mode
img_5763.jpg

Indeed DS230 recycle time is very slow as using 2 battery only, but they claim GN23 (although I doubt it) while Inon D2000 is GN20 and Z240 is GN24 but cost more than twice.

I also agree, in most cases you'll get what you pay - but in many case we pay for what we actually don't need; Vista is very good example.
I am very happy with my Inon D2000 type 3 and now always use manual mode; no need auto - only at the begining I used sTTL; that's why i am expecting S2000 (no auto exp. mode, no focus light) to come with more attractive price.

Not a true statement. The Epoque DS230 is NOT as powerful as any Inon. Plus it uses only 2 AA batteries and has a pathetic 7 sec. recycle time.

Underwater Strobes

I have always said: With strobes....you get what you pay for.

I am on my 3rd housed DSLR and still using the same Inon Z240's.

HTH,
Dave

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom