Luxfer vs Catalina vs ? for AL4o deco?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Flightlead

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Any particular reasons to select one manufacturer over another for an AL 40 for O2 for deco? The Luxfer looks like it is marginally smaller dimensionally, marginally more buoyant, and at rated pressure holds 0.1 cu ft less than the Catalina.

any particular reasons, other than esthetics, to purchase a non-painted tank vs a yellow one?

thanks

Luxfer.

Cat 40's hang like lead weights.

unpainted. Paint is the worst thing for AL, trapping corrosive salt against the metal.

Any particular reasons to select one manufacturer over another for an AL 40 for O2 for deco? The Luxfer looks like it is marginally smaller dimensionally, marginally more buoyant, and at rated pressure holds 0.1 cu ft less than the Catalina.

any particular reasons, other than esthetics, to purchase a non-painted tank vs a yellow one?

thanks

I was starting a new thread on this very question when I realized "search" was my friend, and discovered this new thread. So...

I am trying to decide between the Luxfer 40 and the Catalina 40 as well.

From their respective websites we have:

The Luxfer 40 stats are: 3000psi, 5.3" diameter, 24.6" Height, 15.3lbs empty,
-0.7 buoyancy full, + 2.3 buoyancy empty.

The Catalina 40 stats are: 3000psi, 5.25" diameter, 25.0" Height, 16.2lbs empty, -1.5 buoyancy full, +1.4 buoyancy empty.

So which cylinder has the best buoyancy characteristics for deco/bailout duty?
How does the buoyancy swing effect you diving dry with singles or doubles, especially at the 20/15/10 foot stops?
Any other issues with these cylinders?

Thanks,
Geoff

A good diver can dive with either, only internet divers waste their life arguing over the finer details of bouyancy characteristics of a deco bottle.

That said, Luxfers do hang better, and I can see that very well as my buddy uses an luxfer 40 and I have a catalina 40. I would prefer to dive with his bottle, it makes it easier to handle. Mine is also painted yellow, while his is brushed aluminum.

However, I got mine for $38, after a fresh hydro and vip(tank was purchased at the end of it's original hydro for $20, $18 got a new hydro, vip and fill), and he paid $120 for his. If you have a choice between two identically priced tanks and one is lux and one is cat, I'd go for the lux. However, if you find a steal of a deal like I did, go for it!

Not to mention, I just read a hilarious story of a person who was handling multple bottles, and accidentily let loose a luxfer which was light, and watched as it floated away while he was stuck decoing at 20 feet....it's possible that a catalina at the same pressure might have been neutral or less bouyant, and he might not have lost it. Luckily, it floated into some weeds and he got it back :)

A good diver can dive with either, only internet divers waste their life arguing over the finer details of bouyancy characteristics of a deco bottle.
Gee....if I was buying one for the first time, I wouldn't mind getting the right kind instead of wasting money.

Not to mention, I just read a hilarious story of a person who was handling multple bottles, and accidentily let loose a luxfer which was light, and watched as it floated away while he was stuck decoing at 20 feet....it's possible that a catalina at the same pressure might have been neutral or less bouyant, and he might not have lost it. Luckily, it floated into some weeds and he got it back :)
True internet diving at its best.

The luxfer wouldn't float away...but you being the dive stud would know that...wouldn't you.

Gee....I was buying one for the first time, I wouldn't mind getting the right kind instead of wasting money.

True internet diving at its best.

The luxfer wouldn't float away...but you being the dive stud would know that...wouldn't you.

What exactly makes a Catalina 40 the "wrong kind"? It holds my o2 just fine, not had any problems even at 3300.

The Luxfer 40 is over 2 pounds bouyant when empty. Let's assume that your regulators happen to be 2 pounds negatively bouyant. It could float away. :) Granted, the story I read ( Cavediving and Other Stuff: August 2008 ) was an 80, but I mentioned it more as humor than a serious issue. You should clip bottles to yourself or to your line, not shove them under logs.

was an 80, but I mentioned it more as humor than a serious issue.

an 80 is not 40.

but since you mention it in a thread about 40's tells me you don't know how it would behave. You looked up some math on the internet and then posted your "opinion"

So...all you have proved is that you are an internet diver yourself.

What exactly makes a Catalina 40 the "wrong kind"? It holds my o2 just fine, not had any problems even at 3300.
Try a luxfer and get back to me.

and I didn't say "wrong", but your back is now up against the wall and I doubt you are listening anymore. Just defending.

http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom