The all inclusive Oriskany Thread

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Going to try and schedule a dive to the "O" this weekend. I will let yall know how it is:)

Anyone else seen the History Channel show, Sinking of an Aircraft Carrier, about the work that went into prepping the Oriskany for being sunk?

They spent a great deal of time and effort removing anything potentially toxic to marine life, salvaging recyclable metals, and planning out how to sink a ship that was designed to NOT get sunk, and to do so in a predictable manner that would result in an upright position on the bottom.

If you haven't seen it, watch for it to come on again.

Tried to dive the Big O 11/06/08 but seas too high, am going to try again in april and possibly a dive in destin anybody got any suggestions?

Ive been wanting to dive the BIG O for a long time!!!! Is it really all what its cracked up to be? and how deep is the flight deck at?

dang thats deep!!! i guess that wasnt good planning having the flight deck that deep being its just 5 feet beyond No Deco. seems like just a tease being that close but cant touch it. ya know? was the viz on the ship good or is it like any wreck in the northwestern gulf?

** Update: the 2008 hurricanes have tilted the ship starboard some 10°. This Starboard list has lowered the top of the Island to about 80F/24M and the flight deck at the Island to about 147F/44M **

I usally run my own personal charters with just friends and so on out to the gulf but never been on a paid charter. What can I expect with a charter out to the big o? Do we go down as a group and stay in the group or do we pair off in buddies? How much are we talking cost wise for the charter and what kind of air do they provide if any?

Back
Top Bottom