New Regulator Purchase...Help!!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

This is a question for the Advanced types and as well hoping to help out Scott (std63).

In purchasing a system, should you focus on the first stage as much or even more than the second?

Diaphram vs Piston, standard vs balanced, environmentally sealed or Air Bleed. Number of LP/HP ports, ability to withstand freeze up - these considerations are all built in the First not the Second stage.

Currently, I'm doing the PADI Equipment course and for cold water diving, it seems like Balanced Piston seems to be the best.

Am I missing anything here? (oh and I really like the Sherwood Air bleed system.) Over to y'all!

In my opinion, this board is overly enamored with environmental sealing and thermal protection. You have to be in VERY cold water to get a first stage to freeze up. Nearly all regulators will perform in cold water if they are not breathed from above water, since the water is usually about ten degrees above freezing. If you are using a really high performance reg, like the ATX 200 or Mk20/Mk25, it may be in your best interest to have the reg detuned so that less air flows through it, making it less apt to freeze. The new aqualung legends regs are sold in this manner. The only difference between the Legend LX (standard model) and the LX Supreme (cold water model) is the Supreme is "Specially Tuned for Cold Water Diving" (from What's New Section of www.aqualung.com), aka detuned to not breathe as well and has a snowflake etched into the case.

Me, personally, I will always use a Scubapro Mk20, and now the Mk 25, because a flow through piston will perform better than a diaphragm regulator. Environmental Sealing is not really an issue unless you dive in quicksand. I have been in some really nasty environments, and the local rescue/salvage team dives in the Missouri River (it doesn't get much worse than that) and we have never had any problem with the piston in scubapros mucking up and freeflowing. That being said, I also like the new dry sealing in the Aqualung and Apeks regs because overpressurization should make these the top performers of the diaphragms.

So, cold water is not really that much of an issue because the water you are diving in will nearly always be enough to insulate your regulator. Also, the Oceanic has a design very similar to that of SCUBAPro, and is commonly referred to as a SP ripoff, so It should do well. Mares has yet to find something they do better than everybody else. Sherwood is also very tough, but they aren't the best breathers. If you want diaphragm, get Apeks or a new Legend, but my favorite is still the SCUBAPro.

P.S. If you do go the Apeks/Legends route and you go overpressurized, make sure you get a balanced octo. Technically the LPO or the SQ Air Source will begin to free flow at depth because of the change in IP. I have not seen it happen yet, but it could, and AL says it will.

I've used the Oceanic Delta 3 for over a year, and although it's no longer my primary reg, it's a good solid choice.

My wife has an Apeks TX50 and I have a Poseidon Odin. We have swapped equipment and I asked her what she thought of the Odin(undoubtably one of the most polarizing regs. - divers hate it or they love it). Her reply: "It gave me air when I breathed". Then I asked her what she thought of my BC(old Blue Reef LeisurePro model), her reply "That thing is a peice of crap-I couldn't get it to fit-How do you dive in that?" My wife was more sensitive to the fit and function of the BC than to the breathing characteristics of the reg. and I'm willing to bet that most divers are too. It has been my experience that the better investment is in a BC that fits well and works well, instead of investing more money in an expensive reg.
I like every reg. that has been mentioned in this post-they are all very good and I don't think you could go wrong with any of them-I especially like the Apeks TX50/TX40 and the Poseidon Cyclon 5000 and Odin(THE cold water reg, and I'm talking ice,ice baby!!). Just make sure you get a BC that fits well. Otherwise you'll be doing an underwater version of the WWF trying to get your BC under control-and that's no fun, and FUN is what diving is all about....that and the post dive beer-or two.

I hear you Buff...I'm an Odin fan as well.

Scott, I dive both Mares and Poseidon and can't see you going wrong with an abyss. I'm not sure what system the abyss uses as an antifreeze kit for the first stage.

Hey TAM...I seem to remember from one of your recent posts that you use an abyss. How about a quick overview of what you like and don't like about it for Scott.....and what type of environment sealing system is used.

Hey Scott,

If your not confused by now you should be!! Remember that when you buy a peice of equipment your not married to it. The fact is that you will probably purchase many regulators over the years. I decided some time ago to get the Mares MR12 Axis and it is a great reg. It breaths really well and the cost was very reasonable. I am however getting ready to purchase a new reg as I will be putting my MR12 onto my new pony rig when I get it set up. I have been looking at the Apex TX-100 or the Scubapro MK20/S600 reg. Both are great choices for primary regs. My dive buddy dives with the Mares MR22 Abyss and loves it. My recomendation would be to try the different regs and decide your purchase after trying them out under water.

NJDiver_34

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom