"Snorkeling" fins for DM test

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

scubajb

Reaction score
Looking at making a wake for my DM snorkeling swim test :)... what is the best fin to go with for speed on the test?

Thanks,
Jim

what fins are you using right now? It may be just as easy to use the fins that you are used to. Swim fins such as DaKine, T2, Curchhills, Voits and others tend to be shorter bladed which allows for a faster kick and are designed to move people efficiently on the surface. Still, I wouldn't recommend buying a pair of fins just for the DM test unless you are going to do a lot of fin swimming from now on. If you want to smoke the time on the test, learn to fin swim streamlined, make quick turns off the pool wall, and practice fin swimming prior to the test (nothing trains the muscles for finswimming like swimming with fins). If you are using a pair of fins with zippered booties, make sure the zipper stays closed and the booties don't fill with water as the drag slows you down. Similarly, fin swimming with oversized board shorts is like swimming with a parachute tied to your ankle.

Also practice with the snorkel because you'd be surprised at how different "power" swimming is when all you've got is that one airspace to get air out of and in from... :wink:

Just remember, it's not about "smokin'" the test rather it's about completing everything overall...

Good luck!

The Mares Avanti Superchannel is the fastest full foot fin that I know. People seem to equate "snorkel" with FF so.... however, that is a good thing because the FF Superchannel is faster than the Apollo Biofin, even with full SCUBA gear. Booties recommended. If you have a size 13 foot it will be necessary to go bare foot. Don't recommend barefoot for extended use. At a minimum, 2 mm sock will prevent blisters on long (2+ hour) swim.
Pesky

I used my force fins with the padded insert and no boots. The shorter blade made turns easier,IMHO. I'm fairly round and had a time better than the 4 18-20 year olds that started DM at the same time :)

Mike

Wear short, easily driven fins and use a relatively rapid but gentle flutter kick. Don't get long-bladed or overly stiff fins, as these don't work as well on the surface. Make sure to pace yourself. Try to keep your fins from breaking the surface if possible.

I doubt if they would allow this, but a pair of hand webs will make you go like a rocket once you've built up the strength and stamina to use them properly. If you reach this level then you will also have no trouble with the 400m free swim.

Here's an article that might help with your fin selection. However, keep in mind that all tests were done underwater and the results don't accurately apply to surface swimming:

http://www.scubadiving.com/article/18_New_Fins/

Also, as pickens 46929 mentioned, your snorkel can end up being the "bottleneck" if it restricts your airflow too much. Try this with your existing snorkel: Can you inhale deeply and rapidly without feeling that you are sucking air through a crevice? Can you exhale forcefully without feeling excessive back pressure? (Cover the purge valve for this test). Most snorkels will fail this test, since they are generally designed for easy cruising, not power swimming. All of those gadgets they stick on them (splash guards, dry valves, etc.) tend to muck up the airflow, although some are worse than others. A simple, large-diameter J-tube without any valves or splash guards will provide the least airflow restriction, but make sure you are able to keep it clear without struggling or you will defeat the whole purpose. If you want some splash protection and a purge valve, the US Divers Aqua Lung Impulse 3 is a good-breathing conventional model, as their unique anti-splash design hardly restricts the airflow at all. There are also the various front-mounted snorkels that are used by certain speed swimmers during training. I've never tried one, but they are obviously designed to provide excellent airflow.

Last edited:
Looking at making a wake for my DM snorkeling swim test :)... what is the best fin to go with for speed on the test?

Thanks,
Jim

Can't answer your fins question but I spent vacations, over 18 years, hiking and fly fishing the Winds out of Pinedale. Really miss the place and still walk the trails in my dreams.

I used my force fins with the padded insert and no boots. The shorter blade made turns easier,IMHO. I'm fairly round and had a time better than the 4 18-20 year olds that started DM at the same time :)

Mike

I used the Force Fin Pros with a comfort instep for mine, finished with over a minute and a half to spare before the max score time was up.

But, I wouldn't recommend buying a pair just for the test. as already mentioned, use what you have, its what you are used to and what you'll probably do best in. Some practice will reveal whether or not your current fins are any good.

Depending on your leg strength.

Apollo Uni for fast not a lot of leg strength required. They are sized large (L=XL, XL=XXL). LeisurePro SCUBAToys.

Mares full foot fins. Require more leg strength. Check SCUBAToys for Super Channel.

Really fast for well toned leg muscles Freedive fins such as Picasso Teams. Bodega Bay Prodive. I think this one set a world record.

Large bore easy breathing non-flex snorkel such as Aqua Lung Impulse 3 LeisurePro.
Or low profile non-flex snorkel depending on your air consumption requirements.

You will be smoking!!!

If you buy the full foot fins so you can wear a 3mm neoprene sock, you can also use them for freediving and snorkeling.

Good Luck! And have fun!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom