Horrible news - damage to Breakers Reef

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I am not from FL but that really is tragic. Although I would expect it is highly unlikely, I hope they get the guilty party and bring them to justice.

The video of the damage is so damn disturbing!! Ironically, one of the most recent issues of Scuba Diving magazine had an article on Palm Beach diving that featured the Breakers Reef.
Hopefully they can use the camera at the Breakers Hotel to catch the boat captain responsible.

Whoever is coordinating the cleanup/rescue, put my name in. I have a lot of time off between now and the end of the year. Like Tim stated above, our rebreathers will allow serious bottom time at those depths. I have many dives on Breakers Reef, and I'm devestated to hear about this careless act.

Eric Stadtmueller
PM for contact information

I dove Chalfonte (? spelling) reef in Boca on Sat Nov 15th & noticed MAJOR barrel sponge damage there also in about 50-60 feet. I bet if you could track via GPS you would find even more damage south from PB but then maybe a coinicidence! However I feel that is very shallow for a tug to be towing something for that to be the cause. Any other ideas?
FYI I use to crew for a non profit research group that had one of the few permits for reef repair a very arduous process it is to repair coral/sponges. Probably NOVA will get the contract & then possibly sub contract out to someone else. A very noble idea to help -perhaps in the near future it will be easier to just go out & do it!.

Kev

While I am not a CCR diver, I am a concerned diver and would also like to participate somehow, either by helping repair or doing video documentation. Please forward my name and interest as well!!

Doug

https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom