Weight belt falling off

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

CRC65

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
In less than 15 dives (all rental gear) I have had three cases of weight belts that do not seem very secure, one even fell off in the pool (I grabbed it before I floated). Is this a problem of overly worn gear (should I just buy one?) or is there a better type/method for securing them. My DM's have forbade any tucking of the ends of the belt (risk of increased difficulty in ditching). I agree with this but I am equally concerned with a sudden loss of weight. I have read about a DIR practice of weight belt under crotch strap (don't know how to evaluate this). Comments???

Wear could certainly be an issue, particularly with rental gear. There are stainless steel buckles available. Is it an issue with the buckle, or is the belt sliding off? Bear in mind that nylon does stretch some when wet, so you may try wetting it prior to putting the weights and belt on.

If you're interested in getting your own belt, they're one of the least expensive pieces of gear you could get.

Weight Belt reviews and discounts, Trident

Last edited:
If your weight belt is falling off that much, it is probably either an equipment problem or a problem with the way you are putting it on. If you want a weightbelt, buy your own, and get a Stainless Buckle. Those are very nice and proven, plus you should get them for ~$7. Add 2 yards of webbing for $3 and you have the cheapest piece of gear you will ever buy.

There are countless options for weights. If you are using a whole lot of lead, I might recommend distributing it a little, as this will likely help with trim as well. XS Scuba sells some velcro pockets that you can attach to your cam bands that cost about $10 each. They are great, and can take some of the weight off your belt (or all of it if you aren't concerned about ditchable weight.)

Securing your weight isn't as bad as the mainstream dive industry makes it out to be. You will be just fine if you take some of your weight and put it somewhere it can't be ditched. I never have ditchable weight. I even have a weight belt I sometimes wear underneath my drysuit. No falling off there!

Tom

In my experience, the following causes loose weightbelts.
Plastic weight belt buckles to not always close completely, especially if the web belt is not square to the buckle. If worn, plastic buckles may not properly "locK" the belt.
Are you wearing a wetsuit and do you properly cinch the belt when you reach the bottom? Wetsuits compress and create room between the belt and suit, that is why they need to be cinched.
Some web is smoother than others allowing it to slip through the buckle.
Do you have proper placement of weights on the belt, evenly distributed, not unbalanced with more weight on on one side?
Possible solutions
Integrated weights in BCD
A weight harness (DUI, Andy's, etc)
Weight belt that has a hook instead of a clasp buckle (Sea Quest used to make one, I have used it for years and never had one come undone).
Metal buckle on stiff web belt with proper weight placement.

I do not put the crotch strap over the weightbelt. That is reported to have been a factor in a diver that drown up here last year, although I have been unable to get the report confirming such.

There are three buckle designs: thread-thru “force friction fulcrum buckle", wire bail buckle with rubber belt (can be used with standard webbing but is a real PITA) and SeaQuest buckle and belt. The thinking diver will try and select the one that does the best job.

To my way of thinking, a weight belt should have a positive opening and closing buckle that permits the buckle to be opened and the belt to be removed with a minimum of motion and with just one hand. I do not feel that a buckle depending on friction meets that specification.

To the best on my knowledge the wire bail buckle and SeaQuest buckle answer all the issues that have been raised while the more conventional thread-thru buckles do not. That’s not to say “Your ‘Gonna Die” if you use the conventional buckle, but I seen enough situations in life where such buckles added “one more problem” and so I no longer use them.

there ya go, your a new diver, chances are your in a wetsuit, wetsuits compress at depth and that makes the belt go loose. I used to jump in, lay face down in the water and re tighten my belt, then descend, when I get to my depth, get horizontal and double check your belt again.

As far as the weight belt under the crotch strap... I generally do (I think... its been so long since I dove a single tank and thus requiring a weight belt), the crotch strap will help retain the weight belt if it comes off, however if you are on the surface and all hell is breaking loose, you have to undo your waist strap and then your weight belt... good and bad, its up to you on that one.

I always had a stainless steel buckle on my weight belt and I lost it once in less than 20 dives. Never felt 100% secure either. I think the webbing used makes a lot of difference, but perhaps the standard buckle system is not very secure at all when loaded with all the weight a cold water diver requires.

I now dive these, and the problem is gone:
65" Rubber Weight Belt with Wire Buckle from LeisurePro.com

I kept losing my weight belt all through my classes and we realized the lack of hips was not helping....sooooo.. THey gave me an integrated BC and it was awesome. I was spending all my time putting my weight belt back on in the pool. SOme of us were not blessed with hips :)

Ive seen countless plastic belt buckles fail -try a metal one.

If the belt still keeps falling off consider spreading the lead between the belt and BC. Or buying a proper weight harness instead. If you carry any sizeable amount of lead id strongly recommend AGAINST a weight integrated BC.

ive had this happen but ever since using the Trident spring-loaded stainless steel buckle never had a problem. the buckle compensates for compression at depth. its genius.

Back
Top Bottom