Mona Island - How's the diving?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hi Steve....

Glad to hear you're joining the trip. I'm happy to buddy with you... my air consumption is moderate... Maybe we'll all have to take a "test" dive and then we can buddy up based on air consumption.

My YF ,Leslie and I will be there! with New FL Diver and his YF. Tyndall Dive Flight Member too.

This will be our 7th Nekton trip. Just some more cool kids!

Thanks Ladycute, you're on... but something tells me you're being modest on your air consumption rate. Guess we'll see.

The new issue of scuba diver talks about Mona Island dives. I can't wait to get there. :D

Hey everyone!!! Just two weeks now!!! Are you ready? Are you packed? I can't wait!!

I'm looking forward to meeting everyone.

Liz:confused::dork2:

I bought some spring clamps today to secure my wet stuff while it's hanging out to dry.

And, yes, I am really looking forward to it. It's way colder here in Baltimore than in N. Calif. or Panama City, FL.

Ron

I was on the first two seasons for this location. The thing that stands out the most was the 30k winds that might blow for days in a row. This would make for some really big waves. No one wants to spend a week diving the same 6 or so sites on the lee of Mona. This means the boat would move to the unprotected areas. If you weren't good at timing the reentry you ended up body surfing into the edge of the dive platform or ladders. If you missed and didn't plant your feet, you would be lifted 4ft. out of the water dangleing on the rungs. If you drop off the ladder and don't push away, it could come down on you. If you can't get back on the boat with your gear on, you were a hazard. Monito was great diving when you can look across the channel and not see white caps. If you did, the crossing could be so rough you couldn't sit on a chair in the salon without falling over. Getting off the boat in conditions like this was easy. Getting back on was all about timing and technique. These weren't the conditions all the time. They were the conditions enough of the time that the co. finally put in the HIGH ENERGY not for beginners type diving part of the description. Live dives are a piece of cake when conditions are good. Monito will be negative entry, down and away from the boat as quickly as possible. They'll drop you so close to the wall you could hit it with your coffee cup. Stay with the group and don't go any farther than the DM. Once out from the protected side of the island you'll be pulled out to sea. The people that tended to have problems were the ones that thought they were smarter than the crew that did these divers every day.

OK Gang....

I am SO ready for this trip -- and reminding my office that I won't have access to email or cell phone.... (so sad!)

I spoke with Karen last week (some how my passenger profile didn't connect with the office - but we cleared that up!) As of last Wednesday the total was 28 passengers! Woo Hoo!! That's a BUNCH of happy divers!

From Scubaboard, according to my count, we have:

"Reeldive" and Leslie
Nick & Christy
Ben & Ashley
Steve
Ron
"Newfldiver" and Mrs. Newfldiver
and me .....

So that accounts for 11 of the 28.

As an additional "insurance policy" I've updated my first aid kit and save a dive kit. I've made my list of last minute things... including a new battery for my 'extra' computer.

I'll be arriving late Friday night, so on Saturday I'll be actively working to get into "vacation" mode! If you arrive early on Saturday look for me at the airport hotel - which is supposedly right behind the post office where we are all supposed to meet. I'm the 40ish plus size blonde - either on a laptop or reading. (there's a photo on my profile if you really want to be able to 'spot' me.)

See ya soon!

Liz :blinking::D:cool2::cool2:

Liz,

I'm scheduled to arrive in San Juan at 1:14 p.m. on Saturday.

This is my first liveaboard trip and I'm very aware that we won't have access to a dive shop for broken or missing equipment. I also went through my save a dive kit to make sure I'm prepared, including extra batteries for everything.

I'm also planning to carry on the plane as much as I can...in case my checked bag gets lost or delayed. I normally carry my regs, mask, computer and BCD. This time, I'm gonna include my wetsuit, dive lights and back-up (prescription) mask.

(I'm guessing my checked bag will be light.)

Looking forward to the trip and to meeting you and the others.

Ron

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom