Cancun diving or cenote? (been to Cozumel before)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

jaylee

New
Reaction score
I booked a hotel on Cancun hotel-zone and am planning to dive around Cancun.
Please recommend me a dive shop.

I've been to Cozumel and dived couple of famous reefs. Is the sealife at Cancun different from Cozumel? I may skip any boat dive at Cancun and just do cenotes or caverns around Cancun. Cenote is really worthy? Can I see some fishes in cenotes?

It seems cenote costs more than just boat dive.

^^

I have used Dive Aventuras three times for open water and cenote dives. They are south of PlayadeCarmen, so maybe far for your needs.

The Cenotes I have dove only have a few small catfish. You are there to see some amazingly clear water and rock structures. Stalagtites/Stalagmites etc. What I found interesting was the halocline where the fresh water and salt water meet.
Mike

While in Tulum, we did 4 cenote dives followed by 2 reef dives. While the reefs were
beautiful and the fish colorful, I couldn't think of anything else except returning to the cenote's, which we did for 2 more dives and I never thought of doing another reef dive.
Now, a year later, I'm totally hooked on Cave.
My 2$...
Have fun,
Geoff

I've been to Cozumel and dived couple of famous reefs. Is the sealife at Cancun different from Cozumel? I may skip any boat dive at Cancun and just do cenotes or caverns around Cancun. Cenote is really worthy? Can I see some fishes in cenotes?

^^

Just got back from a week of diving in Playa del Carmen. Had a great time. We stayed at the Riu Resort in Playacar. Great beach. Nice Hotel. Not sure I would pay for the All Inclusive again. I've been to Playa several times and really enjoy the restaurants on 5th Avenue.

As for the diving, I went with GeoFish Dive Center on 10th and 1st. We did several ocean dives in the area including an amazing Bull Shark dive and a nice wreck dive on the Mama Vina. I think they do this dive every Wednesday. The crew on the boat was very attentive. I didn't have to lift a finger if I didn't want too. The store staff was fantastic. It was like having my own personal dive concierge. Furthermore, they handled all our needs including DIN valves, pony bottles and nitrox. A top notch operation with a real eye for detail.

Usually, when in Playa, I just dive the cenotes / caves. This was my first trip where I spent time in the ocean. I was pleasantly surprised. We did, however, venture out to the cenotes. Again, we used GeoFish for this. They were great. Had doubles, if desired, high quality lights of us to use. I brought my HID, but my wife used one of theirs. Gerrardo was our guide and he was extremely knowledgeable and experienced. We talked quite a bit about my experience and we found a cenote that certainly appeased my appetite as an experienced cave diver and worked well for my new wife who has never been in a cavern.

I highly recommend GeoFish and diving the Playa del Carmen area. Feel free to ask or PM any questions.

Best,

jcf

http://www.geofishdive.com

^^

Most of the cenotes for diving are located south of Playa del Carmen so you are looking at a hour plus drive to get to them. The cenote dives do cost more since you have to have a guide for every four divers and that guide should be cave certified. In addition, many of the cenotes are located on private/community property so there is an entrance fee associated with diving there.

The cenotes of the Yucatan are world class dives and really are the area's claim to diving fame. Take a look at Hidden Worlds Cenotes Park Yucatan Mexico Riviera Maya to get an idea of what you will be seeing.

Have a great trip!

My boyfriend and I just got back from a week in Xcaret. We did 1 day of cenotes and 2 days of reef. It was our first time drift diving and our first experience with the cenotes. It was well worth it!

We booked through Jason @ fantaseadive.com. He and Klaus worked together to make our trip a lot of fun!

Thanks guys!

hi jaylee,
if your in the cancun hotel zone and want a dive shop then let me know! we re on km 3.5, close to the dive sites, fast boats, small groups and we ll even provide return transportation for you form your resort.
18 dive sites in cancun, 30-85ft, 2 wrecks full of eagle rays and tons of marine life. cozumel has more majestic coral formations and viz exceeds 100ft, cancun viz averages 80ft but too mcuh marine life, more than cozumel!
yes there are dead and damaged reefs in cancun, the big ops dive on them, we ll take you a little farther out and you ll see the difference :)
cenotes, true, a little more than a boat ride at $150, if it was $300 they would still be worth it, these are some of the best dives you will ever do!
hope the info was helpful, visit www.mayanaquadive.com for more info, packages etc... or shoot me a pm and i ll be more than happy to help out.
regards

ben

Cenote is really worthy?

Is water wet?

Can I see some fishes in cenotes?

Little ones, but you will not care.

And worth every penny (A classic case of getting what you pay for!)

To get there from Cancun you have a drive a bit south of Playa, but OMG!!! I didn't think I'dl like them, and got talking into it when the weather was bad to start my trip to Playa last Feb. Now all I can think of is getting back to explore them some more, I'm even working towards getting some formal Cavern/Cave training! It was such a mind blowing experience.

You can see fish, coral, sponges all over the world. There is NOTHING in the world like the Cenotes, do not miss them.

Of course they are overheads, you must have excellent bouyancy control, and if you have the slightest tendency to claustrophobia stick to the reefs.

If you have already been diving in Cozumel then I think you will not be impressed with Cancun. The drive to the cenotes is over an hour but probably well worth the trip. I have friends who found cenotes boring (Sad to say) - but to me they are better than diving the reefs off Playa, Akumal or Cancun. I have Intro to Cave certification and I loved the cenotes almost as much as the caves. Enjoy your holiday in any event!!!

dove the cenotes long ago before it was really organized. glad i did it but would not want to do a lot of it.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom