Cave 1

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The resort properties are all gated, which provides a certain degree of control of who goes in and out, too.
Well, they don't exactly :D plan to be in the resort. They are quite active tourists :D and they'll try visit some new location every day which includes traveling, possibly with rented car.

Well, they don't exactly :D plan to be in the resort. They are quite active tourists :D and they'll try visit some new location every day which includes traveling, possibly with rented car.

The only problems we've had are a stolen lunch and some so-so police practices regarding speeding. You need to be very careful to not fly down the highway like the locals do. (no different than FL in this respect).

I wouldn't worry about not choosing an instructor. They have slightly different personalities but all are very professional and easy to get along with.

Stretching C1 out has the benefit of better rest more so than you need the extra time for skills work. Some students do need extra time but if you're already T1 that is highly unlikely. 6 days makes it more vacation like.

Any reason why you aren't considering Florida?

I did Cave 1 in Mexico this year (same week as TSandM, actually, but different group) and while I was initially slightly concerned about their "lottery" system for assigning you an instructor, I couldn't have been happier with Fred. He was an awesome instructor, completely solid. I hear nothing but good things about Danny and Chris too, of course, so whoever you get will be great.

For me, Cave 1 in five days felt very doable. The days are quite long, but I never felt that the class was moving too fast for me to take it in properly. But I did have the benefit of having taken tech training (non-GUE, but quite DIR) the summer before; those coming into Cave 1 straight from Fundies might find it more demanding. MonkSeal, you're Tech 2, right? You should find it a breeze.

As for costs - yeah, Mexico is getting more and more expensive. Car rental, as TSandM mentioned, is quite overpriced compared to the US, although I can't remember now how much I paid. If your current credit card doesn't cover car insurance, it's worth upgrading to a gold card specially - the higher yearly fee is paid off in insurance savings within about three days.

Tank rental - $30 per set of doubles. Within Cave 1 limits and properly planned, you should be able to get two decent dives out of each set of doubles. So set aside $60/day for gas.

Accommodation - I stayed at a nice beachfront hotel in Akumal called the Vista Del Mar. If I remember correctly, shoulder season prices worked out to about US$110 per night single occupancy. [NB: Akumal is about 10 minutes drive from Zero G. That's something to think about if you're taking a course: it's nice to not have to schlep too far to get home after a long day.]

Health tips: I know she's a doc, but I think TSandM is a bit optimistic about the effects of the local strain of stomach upset. ;-) One of my Cave 1 buddies suffered with a dose of the local bellyache for a good week. [Kudos to him for making it through the course without any, erm... accidents.] Just bring a good supply of Immodium.

Oh - and ear infections are really common. I got one just after finishing the course and was out of the water for three days as a result. So use ear drops religiously at the end of every day. Zero G sells their own concoction that works well as a preventative. Otherwise, go to a pharmacy to get the heavy-duty stuff. The nearest pharmacy to Akumal is in Tulum.

As for costs - yeah, Mexico is getting more and more expensive. Car rental, as TSandM mentioned, is quite overpriced compared to the US, although I can't remember now how much I paid. If your current credit card doesn't cover car insurance, it's worth upgrading to a gold card specially - the higher yearly fee is paid off in insurance savings within about three days.

Mexico does not accept "credit card insurance" in lieu of actual liability insurance. And you can decline the liability unlike in most countries. Your Ccard will cover replacing the car (although expect serious hassles) the big kicker is the liability. If you don't buy liability coverage, from the rental agency, you will go to jail until you have personally paid for damages to anyone else's car/person.

Mexico does not accept "credit card insurance" in lieu of actual liability insurance. And you can decline the liability unlike in most countries. Your Ccard will cover replacing the car (although expect serious hassles) the big kicker is the liability. If you don't buy liability coverage, from the rental agency, you will go to jail until you have personally paid for damages to anyone else's car/person.

I don't like doing "Me Too" posts but this needs to be emphasized. From what I understand is that liability insurance is included in the car rental cost in the US and Canada. Not so in Mexico. It has to be purchased separately and is not covered by Gold/Platinum/whatever cards.

Also Mexican law is supposed to be different from Canada and US law (well except for Quebec apparently). Someone feel free to jump in here to correct me but Mexican law is based on Napoleonic law which basically says "Guilty until proven innocent". One of the locals that I know that is familiar with the differences suggested that if I ever hit a pedestrian on the highway that I should just keep going and head to the airport and catch the first flight anywhere out of Mexico. Doesn't matter if the hittee was crossing in the dark, in the middle of the highway. Just get the hell out of Dodge.

I'm thinking I don't want to see the inside of a Mexican prison. Just sayin'.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom