How do I convince my overweight friend that it's ok to dive?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Just be sure that the wetsuit issue isn't a cover story for her lack of confidence in diving, either from her fitness level, water comfort or other issues.

We it me, I'd let her be. People shouldn't be talked into scuba.

Sounds like you've already got the info you need but I thought I'd throw in my two cents...Overweight doesn't necessarily have anything to do with being able to scuba dive or with having to wear a wetsuit as you've read from some of the responses. So, if that is the only thing holding her back, I say she should go for it! If there are medical conditions or just a plain old reluctance to dive, that is another story. But, I've met lots of divers who were extremely reluctant to go but were trying to appease their spouse/relative/friend and ended up falling in love with scuba diving after a great first experience. I was one of those (trust me, I was very reluctant to go and almost quit in the first 5 minutes of the dive) and now I teach scuba! This is probably why so many people try to talk their friends into diving...b/c they just know that they'll end up loving it, too. However...as has been pointed out on this board many times - scuba is not for everyone and there are some people who just shouldn't be in the water.

Back to the weight issue...our shop stocks suits up to 6XL and the largest diver I've ever gone diving with was 6'4 and around 450lbs. He fit quite comfortably into a 2XL bcd, was certified and only needed 20lbs of weight w/a 3mm shorty. A fantastic diver and all-around great guy and an example that we shouldn't always judge a book by its cover.

IMO, if you have time, you should totally get certified first! It will make your diving in Phuket so much more enjoyable because you will have hopefully learned the skills to take care of yourself and to feel comfortable in an underwater setting. Plus, getting certified ahead of time will open up WAY more diving opportunities there...deeper dives, night diving, some of the more intricate diving, etc. And, if you are certified, you can also rent an underwater digital camera and take some amazing pictures of your dive trip to post back here on ScubaBoard! As a first-time or Discover Scuba Diver, taking pictures can be a difficult proposition and I generally don't recommend it but if you are certified and comfortable in the water, then you'll have the ability to capture these memories forever...and share them with your friend and maybe get her motivated to dive if she hasn't already.

Good luck to you and your friend!

Whales are among the most graceful beings on earth, yet they are the heaviest as well! You are weightless and water is the great equalizer! I am 6'-3" 280lbs but in the water my weight is the same as 115lb woman of 18! My flexibility might be another issue as Beach Diving or cold water diving might be???!!! If he/she wants it bad enough he will do it, otherwise you can lead a horse to water, but you might not get it to SCUBA Dive!

Hi there...

If you search for threads that I've contributed to you'll find that I have had lots to say about 'overweight' diving -- including wet suit alternatives.

I'm a very large women scuba diving instructor.... My wet suits are custom made.... but I logged 100 dives before I owned a wet suit. Most of the women that I have worked with didn't use a wet suit while they were learning. A dive skin would be great, or a pair of water aerobic leggings will work just fine. There are a number of possibilities available at www.junonia.com. H2O Wear also has a very light weight jacket that goes up to a 3X.

If you or your friend want to chat personally, feel free to message me, I'd love to help.

I would also like to encourage you both to get certified before you go... or at the very least do confined water (pool) work before hand.

Have a great time!!!!

You can also check out my website (listed below in my signature) -- it will lead you to more info on my myspace page.

Liz

As other said, ask her if she really want to do this, maybe she is not into diving.

I don´t know how overweighted she is, but my wife is 5" 220lbs and I´m 5"8´ 300lbs, we both use off the rack wetsuits (Bare for me, Pinnacle for my wife)

I dove Phuket in '89 on a liveaboard out around the Similan Islands (those big rocks in the James Bond movie). All I ever wore was a swimming suit and either a T shirt or Lycra suit. There is no need for a wetsuit in Phuket and none of the divers on the boat wore one.

It's a toss up between Phuket and the Maldives as to the best diving. Both are outstanding!

I have never heard of anyone using detergent to don a wetsuit. I find that I can get mine on quite easily if I just wear my Lycra suit. Yup! The same one I used back in '89. I MIGHT splash a little talc here and there but it really isn't necessary. There are some dive skins that work much better than Lycra and have some Polartec as part of the fabric. I understand that is quite nice on the surface as it dries quickly.

But it doesn't matter! You don't need a wetsuit in Phuket.

One other thing, taking a class in cold water can be off-putting. In fact, had I to take my OW cert in Monterey, I would have never gone diving. I started diving in Singapore, Malaysia and Thailand and all I ever used was Lycra. Imagine the shock (literally) of coming home to dive Monterey. Take whatever classes are necessary in warm water.

Richard

I wear my "love of life" well. So many memories of fun times, greatmeals, and family love packed around my body. I'm a 6'5" man packaged into a 5'9" body. Have your friend get certified and go on low energy boat dives. It may possibly be life changing for her. There will be a wetsuit to fit her, possibly not in the rental shop, but definitely off the rack. Just use the weight chart and not the height as a guide.

(totally ignored every post)

if he's wet suiting.. buy him a thong.

as someone that wont be doing 3 dives a day then i suspect you wont get cold if wearing cossies, tshirt or shorts

but if worried about this, how about hunting down something to take with her so she wont stress about getting there and finding its a issue

in the tropics i only wear a aeroskin or lycra suit for skin protection (i do 3 dives per day & im a big chick) and would suggest looking for one of these for your friend, takes up very little room in your luggage and can be used while snorkling so you reduce the risk of sunburn (wish i wore mine for that one only snorkle i did last christmas in vanuatu as i could harldy sit down at some point due to sunburn!)

as long as your friend wants to do this encourage them! life is too short to not give things a try

enjoy

The reality.. if you convince your friend to go diving.. get all certified and not go. that's a waste of time. you might as well not have tried.

Find someone that actually wants to go and be your buddy not just for the certification process.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom