Roatan and new divers

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Thank you everyone for the fantastic advice; we'll definitely take care of the classroom and pool before we get there. I just booked our flight today, so now it's just where to stay and where to dive. I'll probably hold off on arranging the diving until we take care of the local aspect of it, but I'll be booking our place to stay this weekend.

Thanks again - it's nice to get some feedback from those who know.

I would also consider Fantasy Island which shares the same lagoon (shore dive area) with Cocoview - since you'll only be able to do two dives on your two certification days, FIBR offers a nice beach to lounge on as well. I think the dive staff and boats at CCV are probably a little better grade, but FIBR may have some more to do on your down time.

Just my opinion. Both CCV and FIBR can serve you well.

I suggest Fantasy Island - The accommadations are good, food is fine, and ask for Robert at the dive shop - all diving is fanatastic, you can dive all you want, when you want!

....Fantasy Island which shares the same lagoon (shore dive area) with Cocoview....the dive staff and boats at CCV are probably a little better grade....

Although FIBR and CCV are on opposite sides of the same channel, I don't think that FIBR shares the same ease of access that CCV has.

On two trips this past year to CCV, I observed 4 occasions, 2 on each trip, when FIBR dive boats were being towed back to port full of divers. This may be atypical, but it didn't give me a warm and fuzzy!

Given that this is your first trip to Roatan, there are a couple of basic points that I don't see addressed in all the various recommendations. One is that there probably a much bigger difference in atmosphere between the west end and the AI resorts than there is between the various resorts. The resorts will attract different clientele; they tend to be a little more upscale, older crowd, lots of Americans and families. The west end attracts a more diverse group of people, lots of backpackers, more Europeans, a younger crowd overall but fairly mixed. At the resorts, you tend to stay on the grounds, eat there, hang out with the people staying there, and, of course, dive with them. In the west end you go out to the different restaurants and usually end up diving with a somewhat different group from day to day. I'm not advocating one over the other, but I think that's a pretty fair description.

The other thing is that the north side of the island is the leeward side, and on most days of the year it's calmer. There are more dive sites on the north side, but it's not like there are not enough on the south side. Each side has it's devotees, but the majority of the "famous" sites like spooky channel, the aguilla, hole in the wall, etc, are on the north side. The south side does have some very famous sites, Mary's place and the shark dive.

If you end up doing your confined water sessions in Roatan, Half Moon bay on the north side is as close to pool conditions as you can get.

If you want really nice beaches and don't mind paying for it, the West Bay area is very beautiful. I used to jog along the beach from West End to West Bay almost every day. Pretty nice, beats the crap out of my current San Antonio route.

I have not stayed on the West End side. Family fun at Anthonys Key with Dolphins, Zipline thru the jungle, and shopping to the West End can all be done thru most resorts. These are good for the last day. Please read my article which can be found at :
DiD - Scuba Diving Resource & Diving Community

Good Luck you will love Roatan regardless where you stay!

My wife and I did our basic OW training here at home and then finished the process with the open water dives on referral at Fantasy Island. Alajandra was our instructor and she did a great job with us on our open water dives in the lagoon. Checked all of our skills and made sure we were comfortable with the rental gear and certified us. After that, she took us to the dive shop and marina area and showed us around and answered our questions. The next day we met her at the marina and she accompanied us on our first boat dive. Explained how things went and what was expected of us and then went on our first two true dives. Excellent!

After that we were on our own. Luckily, we had another couple with us who were experienced divers and who had gotten us interested in diving to begin with. It was comforting having someone there that was keeping an eye on us and who answered a bazillion qeustions. The divemaster knew we were newly certified but he didn't pay much attention to us because of some young female diver who caught his eye.

Depending upon your comfort level, you might want the option of hiring a DM to accompany you for 2 or more dives so that you all get off to a good start. Make sure the OP you go with offers that option but I'm sure most will. Hope all goes well and you have a great trip!

Although FIBR and CCV are on opposite sides of the same channel, I don't think that FIBR shares the same ease of access that CCV has.

On two trips this past year to CCV, I observed 4 occasions, 2 on each trip, when FIBR dive boats were being towed back to port full of divers. This may be atypical, but it didn't give me a warm and fuzzy!

I stayed at FIBR a couple years ago. The room I had was mildewy. The food sucked, IMO. Two days ina row we didn't get our second tank off the boat because the boat needed towed in. You mean they still haven't fixed that thing?

Can't say where everybody else has stayed, but I've been to SCC, Cozumel Hotel and Resort, Reef Club on Cozumel, Brac Beach Resort on Cayman Brac, The Plaza and Buddy's on Bonaire a total of 6 times in 4 years. several places on the Riviera Maya. Two different places in Fiji and a couple live aboards. All this in less than five years. I can honestly say that FIBR was the worst place I've ever stayed---ever. Even the beach and lagoon weren't very impressive.

Unfortunately I had taken my wife, daughter, and mother along for a decent vacation. I still feel guilty about that one. Just my opinion.

Let me say that I'm not real hard to please. A tent with a good shower and a good bed; three good meals a day is about all I require. OK, maybe an air conditioned tent.

Would I do Roatan again? Most assuredly, but I'd stay somewhere else. The reefs would be worth the trip.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom