DIR, WKPP, GUE, and Halcyon Part 1 of 3

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hello all,
My apologies for this delay. It is difficult to wade through much of this and nearly impossible to speak to all the various points. I will try to account for some broad responses here and then reply to the issues of "Hogartian" in a separate post. For those that are disinterested in my posting because you imagine it is geared toward personal gain I can only say that, in this regard, there are many easier ways to earn a living and a wide range of more "productive" business efforts than email lists. Most truly contentious issues are difficult to resolve by talking about them; however, it sure can be interesting<G>

It has always seemed ironic to me that people attack me publicly and privately with hostile representations about George being mean to them. The irony is understandable but instructive. All people in DIR are not aggressive any more than all of the rest of "you" are mean spirited. However, the most vocal of you are usually aggressive. The world is filled with various personalities, each representing their view in the way that is most consonant with their psyche. Why does this seem so unusual? I am generally quiet and polite and am not uncommonly attacked. George is loud and aggressive and not uncommonly attacked. There are thousands of GUE students that never say a word and hundreds more that rarely promote their view. There are also many dozens that loudly promote what they got from GUE and a small minority that appear hostile. Can you honestly imagine that this relationship is so very different in the rest of society? Issues of delivery are not about DIR; they are endemic to individual personalities.

Regarding "turning my back on George", I have to wonder at the irony; so few people seem to appreciate that if my efforts were strictly marketing I should do exactly this. Yet, my unwillingness to do so does not assuage the accusations that I am a cold-hearted, money grubbing, opportunist. Damned either way I suppose<G>. Many people marshal forward a range of advice and opinions about our "marketing" without ever considering that maybe we really believe in what we are doing. You are free to disagree. In fact, I encourage you to disagree and to do so loudly if that is your desire. However, it is an unfair criticism and a distraction from the real issues to say that we do all this just to make money.

George is my long time friend and we have been through countless difficulties and significant challenges. Being generally soft spoken, I appreciate the natural aversion to aggressive representations. However, discounting the message because it is not in concert with your preferred delivery method seems, at best, naive. George has been amazingly successful at bringing to the forefront a discussion about a range of diving practices. Many people claim to disagree with DIR and to discount either or both of us. Yet, the phenomenal degree of mimicry speaks volumes to the success these principles represent. Most of the agencies are, in some capacity, copying DIR concepts (I just received yet another outline today that seeks to copy the DIR Fundamentals format). In a few more years I wager that this will be the case for them all. Dozens of equipment companies now copy what they venomously resisted for years. The discussion lists are filled with debates that exist largely because of the controversy surrounding DIR. Take a deep breath and look inward for a moment. Is there not success found here? I am not asking you to condone, agree with, or embrace any particular representation. I am merely asking you to appreciate that various methods of delivery work to varying degrees and in different ways. Which of us has the right to dictate the manner used by all? I do not call for the blocking of those that attack GUE, Halcyon, DIR, or JJ and would never imagine doing so. If there is no opposing view and no controversy then I personally do not imagine a worthwhile issue properly represented. Go ahead, please disagree with me<G>

Our goal has always been to be a force for change in a sport that we love. Trying to account for the hostility projected at me during this process would be nearly impossible. It is equally challenging to relate the history of unthinking resistance by those that now mimic these ideas. To relate to you the motivation we found in seeing senseless deaths and blind resistance would be fruitless. However, regardless of your personal impression of George, JJ, GUE, Halcyon, or the WKPP you have to acknowledge the success found in controversy. Several of you will now pick apart these words, working to obscure their meaning. Others will claim it was all designed to market products. Still, many of you will think about these issues and recognize the sincerity in my representations. How could it be any other way?

Regardless of your slant I wish you all the best,
Jarrod

Hi Jarrod and all,

I've pretty much stayed out of this thread but I thought I'd step in to say a couple things about what I see as DIR contributions.

It would be hard to argue the effect DIR has had on training. Regardless whether or not one chooses to fully embrace DIR it has served to stress good basic skills in contrast to the cert mills that are common. The DIRF class has given the average diver access to training in these skills outside of cave or technical training (not that it's always there either). It's also provided a basis of comparisson. There isn't any bad without good.

The "Hogarthian"equipment configuration has also been brought to the attention of the average non-cave, non-tech diver. Most of us never heard of or seen such a thing until we were exposed to technical diving or cave diving.

The aspects of DIR that are most visible are the requirements for good basic dive skills and a clean functional equipment configuration and I see that as something that can help any diver.

I doubt, and certainly hope, that GUE isn't against other instructors emulating what their doing.

As far as doing it for profit...Why should one do good work for free?

Some of the other little dive planning tricks or simplifications that GUE teaches are so functional, slick and simple that they almost qualify as works of art. Many of the folks doing the loudest argueing (on both sides) haven't even got that far yet and they're missing the best part. LOL

Like always, just my opinion.

Part 1 of 3 tends to indicate two more parts.

Part 2?

Divesherpa:
Part 1 of 3 tends to indicate two more parts.

Part 2?
You will have to ask George on the Gavin Scooter Yahoo Group.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom