Omg..... what do I do?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I am a customer of Phil's with three old 6351 Alloy 80's. Phil showed me the tank that failed in his shop shortly after the incident. At that time i decided to retire my 80's and I've replaced them with two 100's.

AL

i convinced my dad to take em in early to get the vis and hydro done (still had 6 months on vis and 2 years left on hydro) and only 1 tank passed...... the other 3 got blow torched
lol
btw the scrap aluminum value was worth more that $100

This dispute about lead (Pb) in Aluminum alloy 6351T6 is becoming tedious. I read the original metallurgical reports following the accident in Florida in which lead inclusions along grain boundaries were strongly associated with neck cracks. Moreover, this report gives detailed analysis of the aluminum alloy in a particular DOT Al tank and points to lead as a suspect in sudden failure of that tank. To paraphrase, the alloy met the criteria for 6351 except for enrichment of lead and tin.

http://hazmat.dot.gov/pubs/reports/cylinder/3al6351_metal_pgs1_10.pdf

I hope that this report will serve to quell some comments like those below but with qualification, I read the statement in a well known pub about "reduced lead" which cited no authoritative source for this. Also, I agree that some, a small minority perhaps, of old Al cylinders may be dangerous. The question is, can the defects be detected reliably:

Beyond trace amounts, there is no lead in 6351-T6 alloy. If "anyone" had "altered" 6351-T6 by "changing the amount of lead in the alloy", then it would no longer by 6351-T6. There is no lead in 6351-T6 alloy, at least not the registered version of the alloy.

Last edited:
https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom