What's Wrong With This Mod-S drill?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Rick Inman

Advisor
ScubaBoard Supporter
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
From another thread:
One of my friends came up with a very slick way to do the modified s that makes it much simpler and cleaner. It might me hard to explain without video, but basically you take your long hose reg and pass it under the light cord right off the bat and to your left hand. You then clear if from your canister. To stow it you do that in reverse. Takes just a second and there's much less light flashing around.

Hunter

That be me.

This is for the mod-s only, so the reg is not handed off, but remains in the left hand as the hose is extended to display that it is free and clear (I know you know this. Just being clear for all). So the light in the eyes is not an issue, it's just controlled and pointed down as it would any time you are face to face.

One day I was sitting on my truck bed with my doubles on, playing with my light and long hose, when I found the reg and hose in the mod-s position and I had never shifted the light from one hand to another and back. Huh? How had I done that? So, I repeated the move a few times. I thought, this can't be right. It's too easy. I could present and stow the reg without shifting the light. If this was a good way to do it, someone else would have thought of it by now and they would teach it (and I am, in fact sure that others are. I have just never seen it).

When my buddy (fundies grad) showed up, I demonstrated the move. What's wrong with this? I asked him. He couldn't find anything.

I'm headed out to go diving, so I'll have my buddy video me doing the mod-s and I'll post it tonight. I'm sure either the flaw will be pointed out, or else several people will say, yeah dude, that's how we already do it .
Here's the video, once at full speed, once at 50%:(click here ->)

Did you forget something :D

Did you forget something :D

Rick, If i'm presenting the long hose in an OOA emergency, why would I take the time
to clear the hose or care about the blinding light in the eyes when the point is to get the regulator to the OOA diver as fast as possible?
Then I would work to clear the hose from under my canister and lead the diver to the surface.
Am I missing anything?

All the best,
Geoff

Rick, If i'm presenting the long hose in an OOA emergency, why would I take the time
to clear the hose or care about the blinding light in the eyes when the point is to get the regulator to the OOA diver as fast as possible?
Then I would work to clear the hose from under my canister and lead the diver to the surface.
Am I missing anything?

All the best,
Geoff
Yeah, good question. This is a MODIFIED S drill. It's not an OOG presentation. It's simply presenting the hose PRIOR to the dive to demonstrate that it is not trapped.

Please, let's not confuse what I'm demonstrating here with a gas donation.

thanks

It takes two hands, and is slower then a quick, one hand extention. I understand this is only a Mod-S, but both should be performed the same....muscle memory and all that. Clean up is only done after the emergency is over and the OOG diver has a working reg (as does the donor, using his left hand for his back-up).

Just my, new to the GUE world, observation. I am still learning the ways of the dark side, so don't take as gospel.

Robert

It takes two hands...

All mod S drills take 2 hands, because you don't hand it off to your team mate, you hold the reg in your left hand. Watch this youtube video if you don't know what one is. You'll see the reg go into the left hand, so the right hand can unwrap and present the hose. The difference is on this video, there is no light cord to deal with: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8sqHa1kLLks

Okay, now that we got that out of the way, the question is about my method which doesn't require moving the light around the hose.

Rick, I understand that EVENTUALLY you need to use 2 hands, the left for holding the primary reg, but that in only AFTER you use your left hand to move your bungied back-up to your mouth.

To answer your question, I think "what's wrong" is you have no gas to breath.

To answer your question, I think "what's wrong" is you have no gas to breath.

Sigh... yes the left hand does put the bkup reg into the mouth. I was out of the water and just demo-ing the light cord/hose placement.

I don't necessarily see anything wrong with it.

I have started doing a modified S-drill by starting with my light clipped off and the cord tucked under the long hose and my waist strap (as it would be if it died during the dive). The light is already on when I do this and I usually angle things so it isn't blinding anyone.

By already having the light under the long hose and waist strap I don't have to deal with any silliness of moving light cords around or anything. Just pull the long hose from around my neck and from under the can, present it to the team, and restow.

Then pull the light out, a quick "ok", and off we go...

edit: Just need to make sure you practice the full OOA sequence every so often so you remember which way the light goes after you deploy the long hose. :eyebrow:

http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom