Hey from Nanaimo, BC

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Cavs42

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
Hello ScubaBoard

I'm a new diver living in Nanaimo, BC.
I did my PADI Open Water cert in Fiji in Nov 07, and havn't been back blowing bubbles since, due to lack of gear and the chaos of coming home from the Ghan, a recent wedding, moving and getting a puppy! Whew... I need some quiet time under water.

I recently strolled into a local dive shop and waddled out about 7 grand poorer, after completely outfitting both myself and my dive buddy. So once my drysuit gets finished, it'll be into the water for my course, and then I dont know when I'll get a chance to un-prune, because I dont plan on being on the surface too much.

I've been browsing the forums for a few days, and I look forward to asking a bunch of newbie questions to you guys, as it looks like I came to the right place for all the info I could want.:canada:

Oh yeah... Here's my first stupid newbie question:

What in the heck is a safety sausage?? I'd never heard of one until I got here.

Thanks!

Welcome to Scubaboard Cavs42! You live in one of the best places in the world to dive so I'm sure you'll get your moneys worth out of the new gear you just purchased. The diving on Vancouver Island is limitless and the wrecks in Nanaimo are on my all time favorites list.

To answer your question....
A surface marker buoy (SMB) or "safety sausage" is a deployable, inflatable sausage shaped bag typically used as an ascent line or to mark your location to those above while diving. It can also be used as a safety signaling device, a lift bag for small items, or for redundant emergency boyancy (in case your BC or wing malfunctions). For boat diving in Nanaimo a SMB, along with a spool or reel, is a mandatory piece of gear.

Deploying a SMB is typically covered in an advanced open water course. Here's a video that will give you the basic idea:

YouTube - SMB deployment v2

Thanks for the reply and welcome Bill

I had a feeling that a sausage was an inflatable marker, but I wasn't sure as I'd never heard them refered to as a sausage. Great... Back to the Shop!

I have to say that I'm stoked to be living here, as I've heard NOTHING but good things about the diving around this area. I'm really looking forward to my deep diver and werck diver courses so that I can play on the Saskatchewan and the Cape Breton...

I have to say that I'm stoked to be living here, as I've heard NOTHING but good things about the diving around this area. I'm really looking forward to my deep diver and werck diver courses so that I can play on the Saskatchewan and the Cape Breton...

Welcome to the Scubaboard, yeah Nanaimo has some excellent wreck diving and some pretty good shore dives too.

Cheers

Al

welcome aboard

Yeah, you're a lucky diver. I keep scheming to get back up to Nanaimo to dive again. Yes, there are some magnificent wrecks, but there are also stunning walls!

I'd highly recommend seeking out a good marine life ID class -- It will enrich your diving experience in the profusion of life in our cold waters more than you can imagine.

You LIVE in Nanaimo and are just gearing up? Wow, you've got some great diving ahead of you right in your neighborhood. The Breton and Saskatchewan are beautiful wrecks that I wish I had several months to explore. Dropping down the skylight into blackness is one of the highlights of my memory reel. (And of course you have to read the secret message down there by the keel!) Look up Harry at "Technically Speaking" for a good charter out there. Very experienced and informative. :D

Yeah, you're a lucky diver. I keep scheming to get back up to Nanaimo to dive again. Yes, there are some magnificent wrecks, but there are also stunning walls!

I'd highly recommend seeking out a good marine life ID class -- It will enrich your diving experience in the profusion of life in our cold waters more than you can imagine.

I have heard the same about the walls in this area, but I have to say I am REALLY looking forward to my first dive on a wreck. I was checking out some videos made in the area and flipping through a book on the fauna of the Pacific Northwest, and I think I'm gonna make some memory cards melt I'll be shooting so many photos...

You LIVE in Nanaimo and are just gearing up? Wow, you've got some great diving ahead of you right in your neighborhood.

Lol... yeah, but give me a break! I just moved here in August, and was in a desert before that... Not much diving!

Lucky you living in Naniamo...
Great diving...all year long...
Let me know if you need a buddy
Kirsten

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom