Leisurepro online

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Also, if your ever in NYC, Leisurpro has a well stocked real store. Small but jammed with stuff.

I bought the computer locally, got a bit of a discount and will be ready to test it during my night dive on thursday..

I totally had missed that warranty.. thanks!

Are you talking about the Gekko? If so understand the LeisurePro is not an authorized Aqualung (Suunto's North America distributor) dealer so any warranty or service will have to be with LP directly.

Aqualung has a statement specifically about LeisurePro on their website: Leisure Pro is NOT an authorized Aqua Lung dealer

I am sick of people bitching about LP on these forums. I have had a long international relationship with this company. They offer their own warranty on things they sell. I have bought items from cameras, computers, bcd's, etc over the last three years. I have had nothing but exceptional service and supply from the other side of the world. I am sure that if you were unsatisfied with the performance or function of any item bought from them within reason they would warrant it out of their own stock. I am sick of seeing other retailers bagging them with all their grey market bulls**t because they are scared of their pricing. Sell your own wares on their merits, you may not be the cheapest but neither do you always have to be. Give a company credit that does it very, very well.

Buy heaps from Leisurepro they are safe and great for the diving industry.

Last edited by a moderator:
Im about to do my first ever transaction online. I maybe 25 but I live on my own!

So ofcourse.. my first purchase will be a computer.

has anyone has problems, they're selection is very good and cheap.
im a tad hessitant, never ordered anything online.

LeisurePro is quite a hot topic here on SB. Use the search and you will find lots of facts to help you make your decision.

Im about to do my first ever transaction online. I maybe 25 but I live on my own!

You have to do what is best for you, but if it were me I would only purchase lower ticket items and only items that they are the authorized dealer for. Anything else - you will be taking a chance.

I would do a search and look for old posts on leisure pro. You will find that there are varying opinions on why or why not to use them, and that might help you to make your decision based on what is important to YOU right now in YOUR life.

OK... It's time to set the record straight...

Ding ding ding ding ding....

Leisurepro is great at what they do... But it is not just them. There are now about a handful of large internet based scuba equipment wholesalers out there competing to drive the LDS's out of business.

Without equipment sales, local dive shops will not exist to provide training. This is one of the reasons why the sport is slowly dying. Of course there are other reasons as well... such as poor training, dive shop owners so pissed off about the "Leisurepro's" of the world that they really turn people off, the economy, Wii, and so on.

More dive shops close every year then open and this year 2008-2009) will likely set a record for dive shop closures. Even Leisurepro is struggling in this economy - trust me. They're so loaded with inventory right now they're virtually giving it away - which is hurting the local dive shops even more... and driving them out of business even quicker.

As a local dive shop owner who beats Leisurepro pricing everyday of the year... I understand what needs to be done to compete. I have been selling on significantly lower margins to keep my store open to provide training and keep the sport growing in our area. The problem now is that Leisurepro is selling items for less then I can buy them for from the manufacturers.

For years shop owners missed the opportunity to compete as we were. They along with Leisurepro and other online sellers - in cohoots with the manufacturers are driving local shops right out of business.

Here is how.
1. Manufacturers are "dumping" huge amounts of excess inventory in the laps of Leisurepro (and others like them) due to overstock caused by slow sales in the down economy. LP has the money to buy it all up in volume for less then the manufacturers are offering it to their local dive shops.
2. Manufacturers are allowing LP (and others like them) to circumvent minimum advertised sales prices they hold local dealers too in order to help them move all this inventory they have bought from them.

Some of the best examples I can give are when my cost for a mask is $28... and Leisurepro is selling it for $27.00, I can't compete with that no matter what I do. The mask - according to the manufacturer is suppose to retail for $59.95. I am willing to sell it at a legitimate 30% margin... or $35.10... but the manufacturer has a cow and threatens to pull my dealership when I do it... yet Leisurepro sells them all day long without repurcussion for $27.00

I do not fault Leisurepro or any of the other internet sellers for being smart businessmen. I applaud them. In effect, they've created a situation where they have taken the sport - and the manufacturers collectively by the balls. The problem I have is that they are squeezing the sport into non-existence by slowly eroding the LDS.

This is one of the major reasons for agencies moving to online training. At this moment the thought is that all training will eventually be done online and pool sessions taught by individual private Insdtructors listed on agency websites. All students will be required to have their own gear to take a course... and gear will be purchased online from one of the major internet sellers - who will alos be listed as Authorized Selling Centers on the agencies websites.

This is where we are going folks... and the LDS has but one choice. Grow and compete on the national and international level and position themselves as one of the Authorized Selling Centers... or close up shop now and save yourselves years of struggling to stay alive.

Leisurepro does sell gear for cheap... unbelievably cheap... some of it years old, out of warranty or no warranty at all (but theirs.) I give them credit for that... and I also give them credit for having great customer service - generally speaking they handle problems efficiently and pleasantly. Finally, I give them credit for killing the sport. You must give all credit where it is due.

My hope is that in this economy, they too will make mistakes. They will buy up so much gear from struggling manufacturers that their cash flow will slow or dry up - and they too will be one of the companies that go bankrupt. I know the boys have money - but then again, so did some other really big companies that make Leisurepro look like a spec of sand on the beach. Those companies are going under - so there is no reason to suspect the largest dive companies can't go too.

Most LDS's can only sit back and hope for disaster for LP and the others built like them. If they fall due to cash flow issues... smart competitive LDS's will be ready to pounce and rebuild the industry. If the economy does not bring them down... then most LDS's (as we know them) will be gone within the next decade.

So there... buy your gear at Leisurepro... or deal with an LDS that competes readily with them daily... either way, I can't blame a guy (or girl) for trying to save a buck these days!

Happy Diving!

Last edited:
I know nothing about LP. This is a comment about on-line shopping in general:

I buy a lot of stuff on-line. Shopping with reputable merchants, or eBay sellers with high user ratings, or other similar, I've never had a problem and continue to buy on-line when I have to.

However, I always buy from local merchants when I can. That's because I get value from local merchants that an on-line seller cannot provide. A brick-and-mortar store that I can walk into and talk to real people, where I can get an idea of the competence level and reliability of the people and develop a personal relationship, and where I can take things for repair and be confident (based on a face-to-face assessment) of their ability and willingness to do it right.

Once upon a time, everything was local. Nowadays the internet and big-box stores are pushing smaller, more personal merchants out. In my opinion, this degrades the local community. Yes, internet sellers who do not have the same overhead, and big-box stores that have economies of scale and pay their employees minimum wage can undersell the locals, and you can save a few bucks. But the real cost is the loss of local services, money that leaves your community, and a general deterioration of wages.

I'd encourage people to support local merchants, as a long-term quality of life issue, and take advantage of the internet when products you want are not available locally, or when a local merchant does not provide good service.

Just my opinion.

Daniel

The "is buying online evil" debate has raged for years, and whilst I don't dispute that we are going to see a lot of LDSs go to the wall over the next 12 months (alongside a lot of other businesses), even without the recession the economic models of scuba diving were going to have to change. The model of cheap training, cheap air fills but good mark ups on equipment sales was never going to survive the internet shopping revolution.

The debate is very similar to opticians and the buying contact lenses online.

We won't solve the debate here, but as the old saying goes: "If we want to stay the same, some things are going to have to change around here." (not clever enought to remember who the quote is attributed to).

Buy from LP. Or any retailer that you feel comfortable with. i have purchased everything from regs to fins from LP with NO regrets. They are reputable folks, they stand behind everything they sell. I have even dove with a couple of them. The manager is knowledgeable and a Master instructor who has always given me the straight poop. ( I wish I had listened to him on a couple of early purchases).

Mike - After an honest post like that you can expect some of my business as well. Thank you for your candor, not many LDS' are savvy enough to know what it takes to do biz in the 21st century and I wish them farewell.

aww man...... i have purchased avery piece of my gear from leisurepro!!
they are awsum!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
i signed up for their email thing and theysend me a ton of cupons
my most recent one was 25% off all aries and oceanic gear

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom