I still can't decide

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Jandee

Contributor
Reaction score
Waterford,Wi, about 25 miles from the Milwaukee Ha
# of dives
1000 - 2499
I ruled out Little Cayman because of cost, and have been to Bonaire, Grand Turk, Dominica, Belize, Utila, Roatan, and Cozumel. Returning to any of these island won't work because my husband won't go any place more then once or twice. We need to go at the end of March. Right now I'm looking at Saba, Curacao, and St Eustatius. I want to dive a lot, 3 tanks a day plus a few night dives. We are both experienced divers. Night life or shopping are not important and accomondations need not be 5 Star. All inclusive would be nice as long as shorts, T-shirt, and wet hair are acceptable.
Is the diving in Curacao mostly shore diving or boat diving? Are the dive sites marked and easy to find like they were in Bonaire? How difficult is it to enter the water, such as having to carry gear down steep hills, or entering water with rough surf over rocks and coral? (2 bad knees). Any suggestions?

From my reading on Statia, if I understand correctly, you must be accompanied by a local dive master on all dives (even visiting liveaboards). Not exactly my idea of shore diving. Got the short air hop on Win Air, which drives up the price. I would like to go there, to do some hiking as well as diving. The diving, if I understand correctly, is nothing outstanding.

Saba sounds nice, but would it really be much (any) cheaper than Little Cayman? Still got that short expensive hop on the Twin Otter.

Is Caymac Brac any cheaper?

We are headed to Barbados in January. We will be diving a few days, but it is really more of a family trip than a dive trip.

Right now I'm looking at Saba, Curacao, and St Eustatius. I want to dive a lot, 3 tanks a day plus a few night dives. We are both experienced divers. Night life or shopping are not important and accomondations need not be 5 Star. All inclusive would be nice as long as shorts, T-shirt, and wet hair are acceptable.
Is the diving in Curacao mostly shore diving or boat diving? Are the dive sites marked and easy to find like they were in Bonaire? How difficult is it to enter the water, such as having to carry gear down steep hills, or entering water with rough surf over rocks and coral? (2 bad knees). Any suggestions?
Curacao is Bonaire diving but easier entries. They're on the same reef so you see similar stuff. Both boat/shore options are available but in a week of diving 3-4 dives/day we only did one boat dive. There's really only 3-4 top dives that aren't shore accessible, Superior Producer, Mushroom Forest, Watamula and a couple others I can't recall. Watamula is one of the best dives on the West End. On our only boat dive, the captain talked us out of Mushroom Forest as he said the fishlife there is low due to the overwhelming # of stacked corals. And most diveops only let you snorkel in the Blue Cave between dives.

The biggest difference is that most of the west side (better) dives are on small coves that break the ironshore cliffs so the reef can be a decent swim out in places. We almost always did it on the surface. And just about every divesite has facilities onsite and you're required to pay a few guilders to dive there. Most have tanks/wts. also and some have full diveops onsite.
A couple of the better divesites on the West End are resorts on the cliffs overlooking the water with the dive docks/lockers etc. at water level. At Habitat, this means three vertical flights of stairs down from the resort level with about a 50' walk out to the end of the divedock. The reef is fairly close there and starts at about 40', but the better part is slightly to the east. We really liked the Habitat reef, even though we stayed closer to town, we went there twice.

At Sunset Waters we drove down to the diveshop as the resort is 100's of yards back up the hill. If the road is chained, ask them to let you down there. Otherwise it's a long carry down some steps that need work. Even the beach bar has a drink trolley. The dive there is off a small cove through a manmade breakwater. It's an easy wade in with boots and they have a small setup area right on the beach (racks/tent etc) as Sunset Divers is about 100yds. back towards the boat channel - no diving there. But all their tanks etc. are there.

Ocean Encounters West at Playa Kalki is similar, Lodge Kura Hulanda is above with some stone steps down to their facility/water level. It's a great dive also.

There's also some diveops located on named divesites, Varsenbaai, Playa Lagun and Porto Marie all have regular dive facilities. You can bring your own tanks to Varsenbaai (do this, cleanliness was an issue there) and Playa Lagun. I liked Varsenbaai, in one dive we saw s a big pontoon boat at 80', seahorses at the site marker in 40' and turtles feeding in 8' closer inshore. And about 100 squid just off the divedock.

Habitat is fairly close to Porto Marie so an option is to get tanks at Habitat's pickup on the south end of their parking lot. If you buy the all-day pass ($28?) you could easily do both dives twice. Porto Marie also has a diveop onsite. It's the classic double reef like you see in south Bonaire.

Discover Dive at Playa Lagun sits just off the road. They have a truck bed height dock for tank pickup, it's really convenient. Closer to town, Hooks Hut in Piscadera Bay has their tank pickup within about 30' of their parking lot. Both rent tanks for offsite use.

Of all the west end dives, Playa Jeremi was the only one we did with no faciliities, not even a restroom. It wasn't the best dive either. But easy access, broad concrete steps down to the beach. If you dive it, try looking in the nooks/crannies just off the west point of the cove, I found it more interesting than the reef. I think 2 of the 3 "Gnip" sites are pretty remote also but we didn't get there.

Lost Anchor would not be a site for "bad knees". It's several vertical flights of stairs down a cliff face to the water. Sunset Waters does it as a boat dive, it's a good drift. Supposed to be seahorses but we didn't find them.

The only far east dive we did was Tugboat, it's an easy beach entry with a short swim to the boat. The better part of that dive is the wall around the point. Also since the boat is in 20' of water, there's a good chance a cruise snorkel boat will drop 100 people on your heads mid-morning - it happened to my buddies.

It seemed to me that generally speaking most of the eastern dives we drove by were flat - at least in/around Willemsted. There's more beach and almost no ironshore. On the west end at some locations you're as much as 100' above the water. But everywhere has good access.

fwiw, Sunset Waters looked far more tired than Habitat. Neither one would be much over 3 stars - I'm being kind. Food service was equally slow at both places but better at Habitat. If you want a beach, that would be Sunset Waters, they have a big one. Habitat's is all rock/ironshore. I chased flounders just off their "beach" during an SI, I wouldn't wade in there without boots. They don't even consider it a beach, there's a sundeck 20' from the water.

A pricier alternative is Lodge Kura Hulanda in West Punt, it's one of the leading small hotels in the world. Nice suites, located right on Playa Kalki/Alice in Wonderland - one of the best dives we did. Both ways. And there's a nice newer Ocean Encounters West facilitiy onsite. But it's a 45min. drive back to Willemsted/civilization except for about 3-4 local Westpunt restaurants. And one local market nearby, otherwise stop at Centrum Market in Piscadera on your way out of town.

We were told to lock the cars and hide valuables anywhere we went. By more than one local. Most of the resorts have gated security also. Not that there's a lot of crime but it's a poor island. A friend's wife who is a native told us they're 150M in debt.

hth, this is all fairly current we were there May 2007.

Is Caymac Brac any cheaper?
Brac was trashed by Paloma. Brac Reef had the roof torn off and took extensive damage.
Linton Tibbets was just quoted this week in the CaymanNetNews in that he is hoping that he can get Brac Reef Beach Resort (BRBR) back up and operational before the Christmas Season...but the official word on their website is "Early 2009". Knowing the family, BRBR won't be closed for much longer.

Last edited:
Before going to Roatan this year, we also looked at Saba. An interesting thing I halfway investigated was that it seemed possible to stay on the south side of St. Maarten, do some shore diving there and drive all the way north to a harbor for a day trip to Anguilla. And a longer day trip from the west side to Saba. But it was a long boat ride.

Last edited:
I just booked my airfare to Curacao. I'm now considering Sunset, Habitat, or Lions Dive. I really want a beach. Which one has the better dive op? If I pay for the dive package up front before leaving home will I have a problem with dive boats being full and no room for me on the boat? I'm thinking I would like a 3 day boat package and go to sites that aren't easily reached from the shore and then do shore diving the rest of the time. If I purchase the shore dive package at any one of these resorts will I be able to take their tanks off the resort property and go dive somewhere else?
I'm unsure about the food. Would you recommend the restaurants at these resorts. I don't think slow service is a concern. I'm not picky except I won't eat any critters with gills and not really into goat or other weird stuff. I was thinking of either breakfast and dinner or maybe just breakfast. I read somewhere that we need to dress for dinner, no shorts, is this true.

I just booked my airfare to Curacao. I'm now considering Sunset, Habitat, or Lions Dive. I really want a beach. Leaves out Habitat:
If you want a beach, that would be Sunset Waters, they have a big one. Habitat's is all rock/ironshore. I chased flounders just off their "beach" during an SI, I wouldn't wade in there without boots. They don't even consider it a beach, there's a sundeck 20' from the water.
Lion's Dive also had a beach but I only saw it from a boat. The resort fronts it and there's a beach bar also.

Which one has the better dive op? If I purchase the shore dive package at any one of these resorts will I be able to take their tanks off the resort property and go dive somewhere else?
Tough call, Ocean Encounters is the diveop for Lions Dive. They're probably the largest on Curacao and from that location handle boat dives for several nearby resorts around Willemsted. They often start at LD and proceed up the coast picking up as they go. We did the dolphin dive with them, it was vastly overrated - and pretty expensive at $200. We canceled a 2nd planned dive with them later that morning as the boat was completely full and given the many shore dives nearby, just went to Tugboat instead. Ocean Encounters was a large operation and while efficient, just not overwhelmingly personal - at least to us. They're located in the SeaAquarium complex so they may get a lot of tourists also.

The one boat dive we did was with Sunset Divers. They went out of their way to be acccommodating. Without realizing, we had booked on Voting Day so even though they were short-staffed, they had an instructor take us out on their smaller boat. And we rented tanks from them for a night dive - they close at 5 - but let us keep the tanks and when one had a bad o-ring, one of the staff who was fishing nearby walked a few blocks to get the owner to come back and give us a new one. And they knew we weren't guests at the resort. No deposit required either. At Sunset Waters you can drive down to the diveshop. (you'll want to do that...) If you're a guest of the resort, you get a key to the locker/tank pickup area so I'd guess where you take them is of no concern.

I liked the diveop at Habitat, the setup works well and with the parking lot tank pickup it's convenient for shore dives also. We rented tanks from them even though we weren't Habitat guests for a shoredive at Porto Marie nearby. Turned out Porto Marie has a diveop onsite also.
I'm unsure about the food. Would you recommend the restaurants at these resorts.
Based on two meals at each place, Habitat was slightly better. Neither is gourmet however, just basic solid AI food.

One thing to understand for both Sunset Waters and Habitat is that if you don't like the food there, your next choices for dining are 20-30mins. away back on the main road, most likely a drive back to the west Willemstead/Piscadera Bay area. The only nicer restaurant in that area is Landhuis Daniel, I believe it's nearest to SW but on the main road - not sure. For any food supplies the nearest larger market is back in Piscadera. I'd recommend you go there before driving out from the airport.

Lions Dive being just east of town and by the SeaAquarium you'd have lots of nearby choices. I believe the Ribs Factory(?) is nearby, that was one of our favorites.
I read somewhere that we need to dress for dinner, no shorts, is this true.
I never wore anything but shorts. Most of our dining was at beach resorts. I also ate at the Hilton and (upscale) Marriott. I was a little concerned walking into the Marriott since everyone in the lobby was in black tie, but it was a wedding..lol.

Last edited:
Curacao diving you can do shore or boat. We do mostly boat, some people do mostly shore. It's a little different than Bonaire in that there isn't a road directly along most of the coast where you drive right by the sites. Instead the main road is more inland and you follow side roads out to various coves and beaches. Perhaps a little less convenient and more challenging to find places, but you're rewarded with mostly easier entries and more interesting scenery (and sites IMO.)

It's a tough choice between those 3 places, all have their pros and cons, none is a perfect choice. (IMO there aren't any perfect dive resort choices in Curacao, all have tradeoffs.) AFAIK they will all let you take tanks. Habitat has the classic Bonaire-style tank shed by the parking lot. Some of the beaches that you might shore dive from have dive ops and you can rent tanks there - so you might plan to do those on days you don't have shore tanks included with your boat dives, than you won't even have to haul tanks.

I haven't stayed at Sunset Waters though I've visited a couple times long ago. It's AI and has a nice beach. Consensus seems to be it's not fancy but has adequate rooms and food for a good value. People seem happy with the place and dive op as long as they're not expecting anything fancy. I did read someplace about new management, don't know what the deal is with that or if there are any changes for better or worse.

Lions Dive has a beach, I'm not sure if it's public. It's a relatively busy area right next to the aquarium with lots going on. The op there is Ocean Encounters which I'm not fond of due to it's cattleish nature, among other things. Everyone seems to love Dive Bus. I haven't eaten at their restaurant in a long time, but it used to be good. Lots of nearby restaurant options in any event. From Lion's Dive the boats will dive more sites towards the eastern end of the island which I don't think are as good as the western sites dove by Habitat and Sunset. And it's a longer dive to some of the better shore sites.

Habitat has no beach. (It used to have a nice little manmade beach and deck down on the water. But as part of their non-maintenance program, the ocean has reclaimed the beach and is working on the deck.) I've always liked the dive op a lot but the hotel needs work and I think the food has sucked for years. The rooms are dated but adequate, the grounds dumpy (it may bother me more than some because because I remember when the place was new and the rooms and grounds were actually fairly nice.) The breakfast is ok as part of a dive package but I would not do a package there for other meals. Once you know your way around it's not really that long a drive to other food options downtown or on the way (there's fair amount of stuff around Piscadera Bay where the Marriott and Hilton are.)

Most restaurants on Curacao are fine with shorts and t-shirts. There are some nicer restaurants where people may be more dressed up but even then you will almost always be ok with pants and a nicer shirt, sundress, stuff like that. From what I've seen local people tend to dress up more than the tourists.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom