Wrecked Pirates

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Haha. No, not pilates. It's a special interest class my school is offering. I think it's titled World History of Pirates or something like that. We started with the beginins of piracy and we're in the golden age right now in the Caribbean with robbing the Spanish treasure fleets right now. We're going all the way up to modern pirates. We're also studying the portrayl of pirates in movies.

It sounds interesting but the professor puts everyone to :sleepy:
He wakes us up when he turns up the movies super loud though :wink:(I think he's deaf...)

:pirate2::pirate3:

Caroline ... as this is for a class I would suggest looking at the Florida Bureau of Archaeological Research's Underwater section ... Archaeology - Office of Cultural & Historical Programs There are links there for the 1733 Galleon Trail and other sites. The only "pirate" wreck in Florida is the Henrietta Marie. Ample info on that online from Nat Geo on down.

On a side note, the DiveDown program with the Queen Anne's Revenge shipwreck is not $2000, it's $550. This includes all the materials, 2 breakfasts, 2 lunches, 1 dinner, 2 dives, and a specialty certification. Housing can be done for as little as $25 a night at one of the local dive lodges.

Cheers.

Just wondering how your trip to florida went did you get to make a Pirate dive for turkey day?

Thanks for the links, Chris.

Unfortunately, since I was sans car plus obligated to perform family duties, I was unable to make it down to the Keys. I went to the turkey fry in Venice though which was a lot of fun. I'm hoping to get down to the Keys again over Christmas.
So, it looks like I'm going to have to write a boring old paper after all! Any cool topic suggestions? He wants stuff that's off the beaten path (ie that we haven't talked about in class).

Unfortunately, since I was sans car plus obligated to perform family duties, I was unable to make it down to the Keys. I went to the turkey fry in Venice though which was a lot of fun. I'm hoping to get down to the Keys again over Christmas.
So, it looks like I'm going to have to write a boring old paper after all! Any cool topic suggestions? He wants stuff that's off the beaten path (ie that we haven't talked about in class).

... how about the 'original pirates'... Portobello, Panama ... to the keys... to the "Gold Tower" in Spain. Google Earth photos... land photos... history of the fleet... (Did you know Sir Francis Drake was dumped in the harbor at Portobello when he died???) ... Pirate raids on Portobello... lots of good stuff... (Could do it as a 'where are they now? Kinda' paper...)

Just an idea...

How about something about the Women pirate(s) I believe there was ne that operated out of the Turks and Caicos...

Mike

Thanks for the suggestion! After seeing some of the other kids projects, I realized I was making mine more complicated than it needed to be. So, I decided to do something fun and I made a powerpoint discussing the differences between Treasure Island and the movie Muppet Treasure Island (since it was one of the books we had to read for the class). I had a lot of fun doing it and hope it was somewhat like what he wanted.

Thanks again!:pirate2:

Wait a minute.....Muppet Treasure Island was required reading for a college course? Surely you jest.

Have you talked about Jean Lafitte? He was a pirate in the North Gulf mostly around Louisiana. He and his crew played a major role in winning the battle of New Orleans for the U.S. the deal was amnesty for him and his crew which Jackson did not honor.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom