DUI CLX450 vs TLS350

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Firediver32

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I am on the verge of a new drysuit. I test dove a TLS350, and LOVED it compared to my whites suit. I got a great price, and a great dealer with local support. I spec'd out a signature series TLS350, but the LDS offered me an upgrade to a CLX450 for a very reasonable price. Is there any difference between the two suits, other than fabric? Anyone have any experience with one vs the other?

Dan

I've got both the TLS350 and CLx450 and have several hundred dives on them. Same cut and features, at least in the past (1997 and 2001).

I really like the suppleness of the TLS350. I hardly even know it's there. It's pretty cut resistant, but a barnacle can slice it, if you really try.... :shakehead: Luckily, my slice was in the knee reinforcement and not full-thickness. (Get knee pads.)

The TLS350 dries very quickly and packs up smaller, about half the space, if that's a consideration.

The CLx450 is more cut resistant, and although noticeably stiffer, it's quite comfortable, too.

Tough call, but my favorite is probably the TLS350, since my suits don't see harsh treatment. :)

Of course, it will also depend on how good a deal you've been offered on the CLx450.... :D

Dave C

Last edited:
Hi Dan,

I have a CLX450 and get to dive it this month. I got one heck of a deal from my LDS so I picked it up.

It's made of Cordura and so it's very strong but slighty rigid compared to the TLS350. It fits really nice and is called the tuxedo of drysuits, simply put it looks very sharp.

Here is a pic of the suit:

15hfzlv.jpg

I added a lot of extras to the suit since I saved so much on just the suit.

Currently, I have a whites aqua pro, with a material called "quad flex" which is very stiff. Its one of the things I hate about the suit. And since one of the things I loved about the TLS350 I test dove was the material, I think I will go with the TLS 350. I have to get a signature series suit, so I added the tough duck overlay on the shoulders and the CF200 knee pads, hopefull that will add a little extra protecton. I don't really beat my drysuit up very much anyway.

Dan

Dan,

I have a 15 year old TLS 350 and my wife has a 3 year old CLX 450. The 450 is significantly heavier and takes more than twice as long to dry.

You'll be happier with the 350. While you are at it, I would recommend the CLX style overlay (more protection on the arms) and the old-style zipper. The "quick-zip" is anything but "quick" in my opinion - really a step backwards.

Jason.

Thanks, Actually, I already included both those items! I was told the old school zipper works beter with a bp/wing which I use.

Currently, I have a whites aqua pro, with a material called "quad flex" which is very stiff. Its one of the things I hate about the suit. And since one of the things I loved about the TLS350 I test dove was the material, I think I will go with the TLS 350. I have to get a signature series suit, so I added the tough duck overlay on the shoulders and the CF200 knee pads, hopefull that will add a little extra protecton. I don't really beat my drysuit up very much anyway.

Dan

Considering you have another drysuit, the whites aqua pro and that it's already like a cordura material you are in fact making the best decision to get the TLS350.

I see tons of divers in Monterey, CA where I dive that sport that suit. It's one of the prefered suits for many instructors because of the fast drying capabilities.

The material is incredibly soft and almost feels like you don't have the suit on. Can hardly wait for you to post the pictures of your new suit.

Dan,

One more thing - it seems to me that DUI tends to cut the arms too short. I have a buddy who is sending his custom suit back for this reason. The arms are about an inch too short on mine also - so that the seal is quite exposed. It's not much of an issue with my dry gloves however.

What are you doing for gloves? DC rings over DUI wrist zipseals seems quite slick. Are you going with zipseals?

Cheers,
Jason.

Right now, I am up in the air on zip seals or not. One thing I noticed, that I do like about the whites it has heavy duty seals. The DUI's Ive seen seem much thinner. I need to investigate if I can get the thicker latex in zip seals. As for gloves, Ive used my 5 mil wet gloves for up to an hour in 42 degrees and not had a problem, so for now I'll stick with those.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom