Experiment time

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Point well taken! Good, good.

I'll stick to the center then. Excellent.

Betcha there's some good wall action in this flat Earth of ours.

Spectre once bubbled...

Sure... I'll buy that.

But... what's on the other side?

An alternate earth where no one disagrees, and of course, there's the cream filling in between :D

"I wanted to post a statement that really couldn't be argued"

In that case, you should post a statement that is true.

"The Earth is commonly thought of as being round, although a few hundred years ago it was believed to be flat"

That statement is false. There is a big difference between "hundred" and "thousand." The number of people who actually believe the earth to be flat is probably pretty much the same today as it was "a few hundred years ago."

but pretty soon, DIR Tec Diver will be here to tell us that George and Jarrod know that it's flat, and unless we wear black t-shirts with a big "H" on them, that we're all going to die.

(Sorry, couldn't resist!) :D

If you want to get technical about it, people have known the world was round for thousands of years, over 4000, at LEAST. Nautical navigation would be an impossability without this knowledge and there's mounting proof, although shuned by the current mainstream acedemian zeitgeist, that advanced navigation skills both by astrolabe and magnetic N/S have been used by ancient civilizations, not the least of which were the Maya, who's astral calculations match and in some cases surpass what we have just "discovered" in the last century. Read Michael Cremo's Forbidden Archeology for more.

Yes, and the ancient Greeks calculated the size of our planet. Columbus wasn't radical in his idea of the Earth's shape, but in his idea about its size. He was convinced the Earth was much smaller than contemporary theory stated. He gambled (with Spain's money) on his theory. BTW, he was wrong.

This is exactly like :

Our civilisation and the monetary system is working, it doesn't slave mankind.

I would say : have a look at this movie : zeitgeist : The Zeitgeist

it's a documentary... there are 2, the zeitgeist and the addendum... we could maybe discuss it and provide more sources of information, independent information out of the major lines and find more stuff to complete it...

well spent 2x2 hours of time in a long time :)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom