Macrolens > 50mm on E volt systems ?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

jan10

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
In the 'Nikon-area' photographers are using sometimes the 105 mm (Tokina)macrolens, a little more focallenght but with the advantage you can keep a little bit more distance from critter that dislike a 50mm macrolens on top of there head, so maybe they can leave there hole a little bit more for greater pictures.
I use the 50mm macro with the diopter from Inon on top of the macroport with good results, but my question: is anybody using some OLY-lens comparable to this 105mm, I do not sea this available in Olympus. You see different zoomlenses, but not fixed focal lenght;
Thanks for feedback
jan

Oly plan to release a 100mm Macro in the near future - so they say. I have heard rumours of sometime early 2009. Sigma make a 105mm Macro, there is a port available. There have been reports of front and back focus issues with this lens however, I'm going to wait for Olympus to release their version.

Sigma | 105mm f/2.8 EX Macro Autofocus Lens for Olympus | 257107

Athena OPF TMP-105 Flat Port for Sigma 105 in Olympus PT-E0x [ath.opf.tmp105] - $499.00 : Reef Photo & Video!, The Underwater Photo Pros

Remember to compare apples to apples. The crop factor on the Oly E-series cameras is 2.0. This means your 50mm lens is the equivalent to a 100mm lens on a 35mm film camera. The Sigma 105mm is the equivalent of 210mm, etc.

You can use the Zuiko 50mm with a 2x teleconverter.

Remember to compare apples to apples. The crop factor on the Oly E-series cameras is 2.0. This means your 50mm lens is the equivalent to a 100mm lens on a 35mm film camera. The Sigma 105mm is the equivalent of 210mm, etc.

You can use the Zuiko 50mm with a 2x teleconverter.

Exactly. I use both the Sigma 105 and the Zuiko 50 macro lenses on my Oly E330 and they're both sweet lenses. The Sigma equals a 210 mm lens, obviously, and is hard to hold steady. If there is surge, I have a hard time keeping my subject in the frame and I much prefer the 50mm. However, if conditions are calm, you can get some spectacular results with the Sigma.

You can also use the 50mm with a wet diopter to get even larger than 1:1 results. It is an excellent lens.

I'm considering the 1.4 teleconverter to use with the 50mm - I already have the extension ring.

Hi guys
thanks for the replies already. Some additional comments, my initial question was to be able to get further away from the subject
- I use already the 50mm with the diopter: indeed great results but the needed distance between the subject and lens is even smaller
- indeed the 50mm is in reality 100mm but is a 2:1, so on the picture not really 100mm.
- I do not have experience with the teleconvertor. I know you lose a stop but what is the effect on the minimum distance to the subject and what is the comparable focaldistance ?
jan
ps: anybody pictures of the sigma 105mm lens ?

The TC doesn't change the minimum focal length - you get added magnification from the same distance. Since you are shooting at very small apertures with strobes in macro, the loss of an f-stop isn't important.

Do you want pictures of the Sigma 105 or pictures taken with the 105?

With the 105 & E-330:

goby640.jpg

greenling640.jpg

shawl2640.jpg

The Zuiko 50mm has a minimum focus distance of 20cm. For the Sigma 105mm, the minimum focus distance is 25cm. Not much gain in distance, but twice the magnification.

Back
Top Bottom