Webbed Gloves

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I'll preface this by saying I don't know squat about webbed gloves, but did notice that it's pretty easy to put your whole hand through some open-toe/open heel fins.

That would let you wear whatever gloves you want, and give a ton of surface area for finning.

Terry

and a sure fire way of looking like a dork.

but it would make it darn easy to do the back kick.

and a sure fire way of looking like a dork.

but it would make it darn easy to do the back kick.

Since the OP has a friend with an HSA cert, I'm assuming the webbed gloves are because fins-on-feet aren't going to work well.

Terry

I'm a paraplegic diver and was turned on to these (Chill Cheater - Catalogue) a while back since the webbed gloves I had (5mm) were really hard to deal with.

I see now that they also have these... Chill Cheater - Catalogue.

I do not have a pair of either so I cannot tell you if they are any good but being thinner they should be great for dexterity which to me is more important than trying to keep my hands warm.

As I maybe the only paraplegic diver to actually post on Scuba Boards, I have experience with the webbed gloves. Number one they hurt my hands, pulling my fingers at odd angles. Number two they dont make them for cold weather divers and they are difficult to use when trying to adjust gear, pull buckles, do the diver underwater brail. That being said, I use a pair of swim paddles used for training swimmers. They rotate out of the way so I can use my hands to whatever is needed and they facilitate any type of gloce from reefs to dry gloves. I routinely dive using five mill gloves but switch to dry gloves in the cold months, ice diving, etc. Check them out at Deep Blue, they carry both the web gloves and the swimmers paddles.

For some reason this hoaky site wont let me post the URL for Deep Blue so go to www.DeepBlueshop.com and then go to the swim/fitness link.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks for the tip on using swim paddles BrokenT10, I use to use webbed gloves but hated them so much I bit the bullet and bought an scooter (great until the batteries go flat).

PS. Your not the only para to post on here anymore.

Craig

Hey Craig glad I could help. I dont have much experience with a scooter but I seem to get along fine without it. I tried one once with dual triggers and I couldnt keep both triggers depressed, kept having to take a hand off to stabilize. Glad to see other paras, my apologies to wldake.

Yeah, they can take a bit of getting use to but once you have it sorted out the main problem is running out of battery power (Had it happen a few times). Took me about 10-15 dives to get myself sorted out and neutral, and it's not really practical to take it into wrecks, thats the main reason I'm about to try swim paddles (off to the Coral sea for 2 weeks over Christmas)

Some people have found success by using regular gloves and then taking the plastic form that comes in your fin foot pocket and attaching that at the wrist so they can grasp the plastic with their hands and use that as a paddle to increase surface area and then still have their hands available for use when they want.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom