Have you ever thought about taking a cruise?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Interesting answers so far. It makes me see how little the public is educated on cruise travel.
So many misconseptions.
First off, one of the ships leaving from Galveston, is in Cozumel from 7 AM to 12 midnight of the same day. That means maybe time for 5 or more dives in one day. So looks like the cruise lines needs to educate people on some of their new port time stays.
Another is the 'too much food', not enough exercise.
Well, this one is easy. Push the fork away, if you don't want to eat too much. And jog around the ship, or go in the work out room, that also has several aerobics classes if you want them.
Anyway, I don't want to sound like I'm ranting, and I know cruising is NOT for everyone.
But, it is a great trip, if one of you is a non diver, or if you have kids, and other family members you are vacationing with.
Thanks for the feed back. Keep it coming.

:)

Natasha once bubbled...
and I know cruising is NOT for everyone
Whether you like cruises or not, I'd recommend the book A Supposedly Fun Thing I'll Never Do Again by David Foster Wallace--it's a hoot.

And sorry, Natasha, but Go Giants!

Actually we've had quite a blast cruising the last few years. And it is a great way to check a place out and see if you want to go back on a longer trip. We did our first blue water dive in Belize - in port on a cruise ship, our second stop was Cozumel, and the third Grand Cayman. All had stops that were easily long enough to get in a two tank boat trip, and some shopping or whatever. In fact it was on a cruise in Dec 2001 that we were snorkeling at Eden Rock, Grand Cayman. Alan saw some divers down below cruising the reef, and commented on how he'd like to try that. It took some serious convincing - but he finally got me into a class, and now I'm hooked. So if I'd never cruised, I'd probably never have started diving at all. Also some of the divers we met on board were with family & friends that didn't dive - so it can be a way to do a group vacation, but still get some diving in. It may not be the ideal way to get in some hard core diving, but it can be a nice way to have a great vacation with a few diving opportunities thrown in ...... I just wish I started diving sooner, considering all the great islands I've visited on cruises!!

Zagnut once bubbled...
..get myself a maid and take her on a cruise!...
Does Zagnette get her own Cabana Boy?

PS. We need to do Sweetwater again....

That's when I fell in love with the Carribean was on a cruise ship 10 yrs ago going to the Bahamas. I still remember the food - some of the best food I've ever had and one can't help it with the service they have. Cruises totally spoil you. This was on the Royal Carribean. They would even serve drinks to you in the hot tub while you watch the sunset over the beautiful Carribean.

Since then though I have enjoyed the old fashioned flying/hotel way and not being on a particular schedule. If it' s inexpensive to go to Belize I'd like to know more. ONE BIG PLUS is that you don't have to cut your diving time on the last day if you're on a cruise. And if you gotta be at the airport 2 hrs early and then go through flight delays etc ya might as well be driving to Houston.

A couple of things I can do without are the small cabins and all the upchucks though.

I spoke to a good friend today who went on a cruise and went to Honduras, Cozumel, and was supposed to go to Belize- but went to another major dive place (can't remember) 7 nights for $700. I know that diving would be more but I'm thinking I am very interested in this now to check out alot of places. And again- one doesn't worry about the last day allowing time for the plane.

I'm going on a cruise the first week of November and I'm super psyched. Leaving Tampa for a 7 day cruise to the Western Caribbean for $399 (Carnival Cruise)! :wacko:

While you may have to be on a schedule, each stop at the ports (Grand Cayman, Belize, Cozumel, etc.) is at least 8 hours, plenty of time for two tank dive and some site-seeing. And it's also great if you go with family members who are divers, but still love the water, i.e. snorkeling.

I'm all for cruises for checking out the sites that I may want to return to in the future.

Hello everyone,

I will be going on my first trip to the Caribbean via a cruise ship. I am very excited to have been invited, but am aware of the pollution records of these companies.

I hope anyone thinking of being a passenger will also take a moment to email some cruise ship folks. As consumers & divers we can encourage the companies to keep making improvements & be consistent in using new technology for waste treatment.

There's a good "what you can do" section at the end of the following piece:

http://www.oceana.org/index.cfm?sectionID=11&fuseaction=3&pageID=924

or here:

http://www.oceana.org/uploads/cruisepollution_whatyoucando.pdf

for your diving! There is no rule that says you have to dive with their operator. If you dive with their operaator, you'll end up on a boat with a herd of people, no diver freedom whatsoever, and your dive site and profile will be dictated for you. It will most likely be more expensive too.

If you are going on a cruise and want to dive, arrange your diving in each port through your operator of choice. People do it all the time.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom