Recommendation for optical masks?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

As I've discovered, much to my regret, much depends upon your prescription.

If your distance correction is a positive diopter, you're pretty much limited to custom grinding, as the manufacturers don't provide single vision positive diopter drop-in lenses.

Cressi makes some standard replacement lenses. This is what I use. I used to use a stick-on reading lens from Optx, but that was when I dove with contacts.

It may be more expensive but IMO a custom prescription lens is the best option if you can not find a mask that you like for which standard lenses are available for or your prescription is something an off the shelf lens can not handle. I have used these guys for my mask and have been very happy with the results. They can put pretty much any prescription in any mask. I have a standard mask and a very low volume mask that they have put bifocals in. Welcome to Prescription Dive Masks 1-800-538-2878

I had custom ground lens bonded to an AquaLung mask, but for some reason between dives in storage, the from mask plate shattered! I was heading out to dive an picked up an EVO mask with +8 and +6 diopter lens on my way to Islamorada. This maks fits better and I see better than my custom mask which was more than twice as much. Diver's Direct saved my dive vacation.

It may be more expensive but IMO a custom prescription lens is the best option if you can not find a mask that you like for which standard lenses are available for or your prescription is something an off the shelf lens can not handle. I have used these guys for my mask and have been very happy with the results. They can put pretty much any prescription in any mask. I have a standard mask and a very low volume mask that they have put bifocals in. Welcome to Prescription Dive Masks 1-800-538-2878
What he said!:D Seriously, the nice thing about this company is you first find the mask that you like, any mask then you send it to them along with your prescription and your all set.

Regards

When I first needed some magnification help, I used the cheap stick ons. I quickly outgrew those and needed the real deal. Tried the pre-made inserts, but it wasn't anything like I really needed, so for the last 10 years, I have had to use the real prescription. It is pricey, but WORTH every cent, especially if you use a camera or really want to be able to read your gauges.

My last experience was with Welcome to Prescription Dive Masks 1-800-538-2878 Linda was AWESOME. I had purchased a new long lens mask, and the first set that I got the magnification was set too low in the mask, and I couldn't see through it, she immediately bought me a new mask (she couldn't correct the lens in the mask I sent her as it is a framless mask and she couldn't get the lens out) and fixed it and sent me a new mask with a perfect prescription. I HIGHLY recommend these guys. Check them out. Give them a call and have a conversation with Linda to get a comfort level before you make such a big purchase.

Looking to buy a mask with corrective lenses, seems like there are not many to choose from. Any recommendations?

1st of all it depends on your Rx, ie must not have much astigmatism to get 'OTC' stuff....

Last edited:
https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom