weight belt

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

bigtim6656

Reaction score
KEY LARGO florida diving capital of the world
# of dives
25 - 49
I talked with tobin from deepseasupply. WE talked about a bp\w i am thinking about going that way. 99% of my issues with them are gone.
HE said they sold weight plates that bolt to the plate but to go with the weight belt. He told me i might have to make one. He is there just webbing and a buckle. My waist is 59 my belly is 66. DOes it sit on my belly or at my waist. Can i buy one to fit my size. Or should i make one.

What would the chances that a diveshop would have one for rent in my size. I have no proplem buying as it still is a issue getting rental stuff for local dives.

It's gonna go to head to your belly-eventually,....Do shops have any in that size, I have no idea....I'd make one to be sure.....

Well, it definitely wouldn't be that hard to make one (one that will work with hard weights). Just get some two inch webbing, thread a buckle to it, then add weights...if you're worried about the weights sliding around, thread some weight belt keeper thingies on each side of the weights.

Another option (for use with both hard and soft weights) is the Buy XS Scuba cordura weight belt WB104 with reviews at scuba.com
The largest size goes up to a 64 inch waist.

For me, the weight belt falls around my natural waist. If your waist is wider than your hips, you might need a weight harness instead, because a standard weight belt might not stay up as well...something like this Buy Seasoft seawolf weight harness SWHAR with reviews at scuba.com
I think DUI makes one as well.

Here is something you might keep in mind, I learned it the hard way...When you use a belt made from webbing, it does not compress at depth, but your suit does. So when you size up your belt, make sure it rides a little above your widest point, otherwise you may lose it at depth. (or you will have to readjust it once you get down). They do make some belts made from rubber or buckles that compensate for depth.

A weight belt is held up by the hips. I don't have hips...

So I use a harness DUI Weight & Trim "Classic" Weight Harness System as I posted before.

You can replace the waist belt with a piece of 2" webbing that you can buy at any dive store. That's easy!

This harness is supposed to be adjusted such that the top of the weight pocket is at the top of the hip bone. Not up high like in the picture.

I think there is enough webbing for the shoulder straps since it is primarily based on height. Worst case, replace them too. This will require sewing and it will be a PITA. Also, these straps are made from the soft kind of webbing.Surgical Tubing, Shock Cord (Bungee), Webbing

Richard

Making a belt is easy, Weight belt webbing comes on long spools. Buy a length about half again longer than your waist/belly size. You can trim it to final size after using it a while. (don't forget that additional weights take up added length) After cutting, fuse the ends from fraying with a small flame.

That and a buckle and you're good to go. I suggest you carry the belt with you, since resort shops may not have one long enough.

One other suggestion, based on your shape and the amount of weight you'll have to carry, consider a harness if you can find one, because heavy belts tend to slip around, or down to your ankles.

I've been really happy with my DSS backplate and wing. A weight belt just didn't work for me because it kept sliding down. I decided to add some weight to the backplate and use at the same time a DUI weight and trim system. The latter was much more comfortable for me than the belt. Keep in mind any weight you add to your plate is non-ditchable. I use a drysuit so I have a redundant source of buoyancy.

All these details will iron out as you dive more. If you're like me, you just have a big plastic "Scuba Stuff" box in your garage and every once in awhile you'll grab stuff that you have evolved beyond and stick it on e-bay. :)

Good luck!

Another option (for use with both hard and soft eights) is the Buy XS Scuba cordura weight belt WB104 with reviews at scuba.com
The largest size goes up to a 64 inch waist.
Only concern I'd have is the "40lbs maximum" For someone who is 440lbs, I assume in salt water and a wetsuit, I can't see this getting him down, even with steel tanks. I don't know this for fact, but I know that (with aluminum tanks) it took nearly 40 to get me down and I'm less than half his weight. If he got this belt, he may still need significant integrated weight into the BCD.

Only concern I'd have is the "40lbs maximum" For someone who is 440lbs, I assume in salt water and a wetsuit, I can't see this getting him down, even with steel tanks. I don't know this for fact, but I know that (with aluminum tanks) it took nearly 40 to get me down and I'm less than half his weight. If he got this belt, he may still need significant integrated weight into the BCD.

True, true....

I don't know much about those types of weight requirements, since I use no weight with my 3mm and a SS BP and 4lbs with my 7mm :)

Seems that a combination of integrated weights (either plates bolted to his backplate or integrated weight pockets, etc) and a weight belt would be easiest for this dude. Of course, he really should talk this over with his potential instructor :)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom