Puerto Rico?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

susanNjay

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
We are looking for any information about taking a vacation to Puerto Rico. We are thinking of the May through July timeframe...
Any suggestions for dive sites/operators?
Any suggestions for things not to miss?

Thanks in advance for any help...

Susan
Louisiana

Susan,
There is some really good diving here but not the easiest to find if your not use to this place. Goto my website Deep-Descent check out some photos of the area. I am not a store or charter owner just an american military guy working here :) The site is our dive club. I do classes and tours on the side but its a hobby.

We have a forum just for local PR divers as well as info about different sites, post a thread and ill link you up with good people...

Shoot me an email if you have any questions, i can help point you in the right direction. If you do make it, plan on diving desycheo island and La Parguera wall. Two very good dives that are easy to get to and a common charter, there are pics on deep-descent.

Depending on where you stay there is good beach diving on the west end of the island.

good luck!
Chuck
Deep-Descent

Chuck,
Thanks for the info.
My husband has been diving for five years and I got certified in June. We just returned from a trip to Cozumel. While there we dove four days. We would like to find an operator in PR who could take us out three days...would Tony and Brenda be your only recommendation?
Thanks again,
Susan

Absolutely they can point you in the right direction. There are only a few boats that get to Desycheo, (that should be must) and many that goto La Parguera. In my opinion the diving here is not as popular and charter boats are not the same quality as those most are use to. (there are some good ones)

Which side of the island are you staying on? Tonys shop is on the west side, 1.8 hours from San Juan. La Parguea is on the south shore also about 2 hours.

If you are on the east side look up Culebra and Vieques Islands, there are some shops out of fajardo that do trips there as well, Tony and Brenda can point you in that direction as well. Tell them I sent ya.

If you guys are up for some beach diving give me a shout! Leslie and I live near San Juan but are always diving out west on the weekends.
Chuck
Deep-Descent

Good info Chuck! We are looking to take our 16yo daughter on vacation at her spring break (so her mother and I can go diving:D) and checked into flights going to PR.

Whats the cost of staying there like? Hotels, food, ect?

They range from cheap to expensive :) It really depends on where you want to stay and what you want to do.

There are some great little bungalows that people have that you can find online. i just met a guy who has one right on the beach at my favorite cavern site. We are thinking of using him on the weekends we dive out west little pool quite location and steps to the site. (a beautiful beach)

Would you like me to get his info for you?

There is another, right at a great reef beach dive. Not fancy but for 80 a night you get your own one bedroom apartment, can walk to the dive site and can rinse your gear right at your doorstep. Its out of the way though not your typical vacation spot :)

Puerto Rico is very Diverse. On the west end it is very laid back surfer style. It is very relaxing and fun. San Juan, well its a city with millions of people. Fajardo is also nice but everyone sticks just to the resorts. Honestly I would recommend Rincon.

Register on my forum, ill post a private thread with emails, phone numbers etc for you. Also goto Clasificados Online Puerto Rico Real Estate, Jobs Autos Empleos , Bienes Raices Puerto Rico and search in the vacation rentals thats a local site we all use. Im mostly on my site if you have anymore questions or shoot me an email, good luck!

Thanks Chuck you are a wealth of information on PR. I was told tonight by STMBO that we might be taking a 1 wk charter sailing/dive with my Bro/Sis-n-law, vacation now. All of them are getting certified to dive, so it sounds like a great time to me.

I will definately keep your kind offer in mind should we decide on PR for vacation.

Back
Top Bottom