How to assemble my own reg?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Br44

Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
I have a question........ i just purchased a new BCD and Computer, and im wondering if its safe to attach it myself or do i have to go pay to have it done by a "pro"

The Gear is
Suunto Gekko and a Tusa 2100

the regulator is
Scubapro MK17/G250v with a apeks xtx40 octo

if i can attach it myself then........ how???

I did some of my own assembly, after asking a lot of questions, and getting the nod from an experienced tech from the shop I bought from. It was very easy.

The secret is knowing that a good seal is maintained not by the torque you exert on the hose, but by using the right O-ring and getting it seated properly (and with everything very clean). About as hard as installing spark plugs. Probably best not to do this unless under "adult supervision" though. And test it in the pool first. If the O-ring doesn't look right, or sticks out of the assembly, or if it seems to require too much torque, or any other anomaly - something's wrong.

That said, I am not authorized to tell you or anyone how to do this kind of stuff - I suspect the right answer is "have the pros do it." And it's hard to argue with that.

Attaching hose to a first stage is very, very, easy. As ferretchen said, the orings produce the seal, not torque. You only need to tighten things slightly past hand tight. Take a look at the reg, if removing/ replacing hoses and port plugs doesn't seem intuitive to you, then take it in. Otherwise, it should make sense to you.

i have a good idea how it works..... just as long as i dont need any odd tools for the job then i think im fine

Attaching hose to a first stage is very, very, easy. As ferretchen said, the orings produce the seal, not torque. You only need to tighten things slightly past hand tight. Take a look at the reg, if removing/ replacing hoses and port plugs doesn't seem intuitive to you, then take it in. Otherwise, it should make sense to you.

Just finger tighten the hose, then a light 'tweak' with a wrench. Not too much, since the 1st stage is often brass, wich is a soft metal and too much force will strip the threads, and render the stage useless.

Agreed, it should be pretty intuitive - an allen wrench for the plug, and a wrench to get the hose past hand-tight. Have at it and have fun!

Back
Top Bottom