• I use a marker pen for gear

Votes: 9 17.3%
  • sound interesting...

Votes: 9 17.3%
  • who cares!

Votes: 3 5.8%

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I'd like the dan tags, but I think they're way too expensive. I mean, really, $5 each for a little circle of metal? That's crazy. As for the human ID tag, $10 would be more reasonable.

I'd like the dan tags, but I think they're way too expensive. I mean, really, $5 each for a little circle of metal? That's crazy. As for the human ID tag, $10 would be more reasonable.
Agree, but they partly finance other DAN activities, well.. all DAN products are way pricey:D

Agree, but they partly finance other DAN activities, well.. all DAN products are way pricey:D
As I've said before, there really are two "DANs". There is the non-profit research organization that helps all divers with hyperbaric issues and connects them to knowledgeable local MDs. And there is the for-profit dive insurance company that sells dive accident insurance policies (which you have to join the former to buy the latter).

What I've never quite figured out is which DAN gets my money if I buy all that DAN logo'ed gear the advertise in Alert Diver magazine?

Actually I don't mark most of my gear. We have a class rule that everyone has to mark their gear in a different way, my way is no mark at all, so if it's lying on the deck and is unmarked ... guess what? It's mine!

Actually I don't mark most of my gear. We have a class rule that everyone has to mark their gear in a different way, my way is no mark at all, so if it's lying on the deck and is unmarked ... guess what? It's mine!
what if there is 2 people aboard thinking the same?:D

My wife and I both wear the ID tag on our BC's. It comes with a little plastic clip that looks a little like a plastic, threaded carabiner. The tag holder is polished chrome so it doubles as a signal mirror.

After seeing someone collapse unconcious after a dive, I went out and bought the ID tag for my BC. Having all that info right there for someone to call could save your life. If you dive the same dive buddy who knows all that every time, it may not make a difference. But as a single person who dives with different groups, it seems worth it to me.

I'm a bit skeptical that a small badge can really mean a difference between life and death.

Afterall, if someone sees an unconcious diver, are they really going to not provide assistance if they don't immediately see an "I'm insured!" tag? Particularly since if the tag is clipped onto the BC, its going to be underwater and not visible from the boat on the surface, etc.

I would consider spending $20 or so for some sort of name tag if it could easily be attached to a wetsuit and is visible from 2 miles away with the message of "THIS IS NOT YOUR WETSUIT", specifically for when the wetsuit is inside-out on a drying rack.

...and there's a guy who wears an XXL who's in for a rude surprise next spring when he discovers that "his" blue Henderson changed from a Polartek to a 3mm while simultaneously shrinking to just an "L" after his September '08 dive trip to Cayman Brac.

In general, I find that there's enough diversity in gear that, particularly when combined with a colored hose strain relief (or two) that IDing which set of gear is yours/mine isn't a problem. And when you're diving on a boat where there's likely to be someone to provide a rescue, they only need to know that you're one of their customers ... they'll worry about which customer you are and minutia of insurance coverage later (and rightfully so).

-hh

Afterall, if someone sees an unconcious diver, are they really going to not provide assistance if they don't immediately see an "I'm insured!" tag?

This has suddenly become an interesting question in California! The state Supreme Court trashed the Good Samaritan law in such a way that it now applies only to providing medical assistance (first aid) and NOT to the actual extraction.

Woe be the rescuer that bungles the extraction (in any way a lawyer can possibly dream up and sell to a jury of non-divers) because they can now be sued!

If you still have a 401(k) or some home equity, you probably want to skip rescuing non-family members.

Richard

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom