Sony Camcorders

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

bfisher

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
I just don't log dives
This specifically is a question about Mini-DV camcorders, and Sony HC7 in particular.

I've been having a problem with the "cage" where the tape is installed. You know, that little contraption that raises up and pops open when you want to install or unload a tape? Well, mine won't latch shut. I had it looked at a few months ago and it's going back tomorrow.

I just wanted to see if anybody here has had a problem with theirs and what repair or whatever might have been done.

I gotta have this thing ready by Jan 10 for a trip to St. Lucia.Push comes to shove I'm just going to buy a refurb from Sony.

I had TONS of problems with my HC-7 but that hasn't been one of them.

Where is Sony selling their refurbs?

I have had issues with the tape mechanism, not with this model of Sony but another one. . . I find that if I try to manipulate this too quickly I have issues. The tray moves S L O W L Y. . . . . . if I allow it to move on it's own time, it works pretty well.

I have never bought a refurbished camera, although I have purchased a used on on ebay.

I have had what may be a similar problem with my TRV-17. I get an error message when it happens. All I do is shut it off, disconnect it from the charger (if it's on), remove the battery, wait a few seconds and then replace the battery. The TRV-17 usually works fine after that. I, too, think it may come from my not being patient enough to let the tape carriage seat itself on its own schedule.

drbill, I too got instructions about removig the battery for a short time then reinstalling it. This was back in September. It has acted up a few times since and this method worked up until a couple days ago.

Well, it's back in the shop right now. I did take notice that the cassette compartment (cage) was crooked this time. The front didn't come up all the way. Somehow I got a feeling this isn't good. I think I just might get me a refurb for time being. Then I'll have something for my trip next week and have a spare for the day they quit making it. Afterall, they're still cheaper than a new housing for a different camcorder.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom